PDA

View Full Version : simple project (Oloid)

Jerry Allen
12-03-2008, 1:29 PM
Here's a simple project called an oloid.
It can be done with wood or acrylic (or metal).
The item is very interesting to watch and will roll with a minimal incline or push because of its center of gravity.
Good for stuffers or ad giveaways. Or expand use for a game perhaps.
The attached .cdr is rev 13, is scalable, and has some additional instructions.
Notches need to be 29.3% of circles.

Gary Hair
12-03-2008, 3:27 PM
Jerry,
Since we all may not have that stencil font you should replace it with something generic, maybe Arial or some more common font. Either that or convert it to curves.

I'll give it a try in a little bit, I just happen to be cutting some 1/8" ply that will be a good test. Thanks for posting this!

Gary

Scott Challoner
12-03-2008, 3:53 PM
Thanks Jerry. I'll give that one a shot.

Jerry Allen
12-03-2008, 3:54 PM
Why would anyone want my name for their design? The one with the cutout font was just supposed to be an example. If it's going to be engraved it could be any font (or logo or design) which will not work for cutting.

The font I used was Rounded Bold Stencil, copyright 1993, Montype Typography Ltd.
I will try to find out if its okay to post, but I'm sure someone created one, including possibly myself, and posted here some time back for ornaments. The one included may have been from an old Corel CD. Maybe someone else remembers, like Frank.

There's some free ones here:
http://www.abstractfonts.com/search/stencil%20bold scroll down to free area.
http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=3138
Just google "stencil fonts free"

Jerry Allen
12-03-2008, 4:31 PM
Gary,
I finally caught your drift. File revised.
For those that already downloaded it, no big deal. Example will just look weird.

Jerry Allen
12-04-2008, 5:50 PM
Example of oloid

Frank Corker
12-04-2008, 8:41 PM
Glad you posted the picture Jerry, I had real problems understanding what it did, but now I get it. Looks like fun!

Scott Challoner
12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Last year I made little wooden widgets for career and hobby day for my son's second grade class. These will make great giveaway items if I do it again this year.

Thanks again Jerry