PDA

View Full Version : Jointing long boards...

Jim Fox
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I have the 8" 1741 Shop Fox Jointer with;

- Table size: 8" x 76-5/16"
- Infeed table size: 8" x 43-3/8"

Buddy at worked asked my to joint two 4/4 boards, 72" long. I am assuming they aren't too warped down the length. Seems like I had issues in the past with long boards getting tight joints when I join them back together. Probably cause I am unsure the proper technique with longer boards. Where do I apply pressure on these boards as I run them across the jointer?

The other option I could do is clamp the boards down with a gap of less than a straight router bit and route matching edges on them.

Matt Benton
12-03-2008, 1:14 PM
Stack the boards on top of each other, face to face, and use a straight edge and router to rout the edges of both boards on the same pass. This should guarantee two complimentary edges...

Tony Bilello
12-03-2008, 1:26 PM
I build a lot of furniture and always use my table saw. I dont own a joiner and I have no problems with long boards.

Chris Padilla
12-03-2008, 1:29 PM
For edge or face jointing, I like to keep as much pressure on the outfeed side near the cutterhead. In other words, get your hands over there as soon as you can when you start the cut.

Be sure to mark the edge jointed AND mark the direction of the cut.

You *should be* be able to joint a 6' board on your jointer with excellent results. My jointer table is only a few inches longer than yours and I do 7-8 footers with excellent results.

Quinn McCarthy
12-03-2008, 1:36 PM
Jim

I do quite a bit of 16-20 jointing with my Delta DJ20. I think the table is about 78-80 inches. I have 2 rollers on the outfeed and one on the infeed. I use a 6' level to set there heights. Works great.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Jason Beam
12-03-2008, 1:37 PM
Oy! You got a big jointer, I say use it! :D

Jointing technique is pretty much the same for any and all length boards. You apply as little downward pressure as possible to the outfeed side as soon as is safe and feasible.

If you're face jointing, that's all the advice you need. Try 'n use the outfeed for reference as soon as is safe.

If you're only jointing the edges, then hopefully your faces are already flat (or enough so that you don't mind a little off-ness). In that case, you should be concentrating on keeping the face against the fence and shooting for a square edge - while ensuring the outfeed table is the reference surface through as much of the cut as possible.

Don't push down very much or you'll just flex the board and end up with the same banana you started with. Your intention is to make a straight surface from an irregular one - changing the surface before you cut wood off is to be avoided. It's more of a guiding motion than a pressure situation. You just want to make sure the thing makes a nice straight path over the heads. Repetition will create your straight surface. :)

Frank Drew
12-03-2008, 3:03 PM
Oy! You got a big jointer, I say use it! :D
Don't push down very much or you'll just flex the board and end up with the same banana you started with. Your intention is to make a straight surface from an irregular one - changing the surface before you cut wood off is to be avoided. It's more of a guiding motion than a pressure situation. You just want to make sure the thing makes a nice straight path over the heads. Repetition will create your straight surface. :)

Just so.

A reasonably straight six foot board should present no problems for your jointer; it would be silly to use a router with that machine sitting there (assuming it's set up correctly).

The board will be on the infeed table just as long as it's on the outfeed table, so you'll need to hold it steady and square up against the fence both before and after the cutterhead, switching your emphasis and pressure to the outfeed table once about a half foot or foot of the board is past the knives.

Neal Clayton
12-03-2008, 5:55 PM
as soon as you've got a foot or so onto the outfeed table you don't even need to touch the infeed, just press on the outfeed side and drag it. the weight of that long a board will provide plenty of infeed pressure on its own.

Chip Lindley
12-03-2008, 7:01 PM
My best advice would be to practice on some BORG pine before doing your friend that favor. Buy a 12' 2x6 and chop it in two. Practice jointing the edges until you get a "feel" for moving pressure from the infeed to the outfeed while jointing a long board. THEN you can do your friend that favor.

The nice thing about long boards: as long as the jointed edges are square, they will glue up nicely regardless of some small discrepancy in the mating edges. Clamps pull them together just fine! Your friend just wants nice crisp 90deg. edges to make one wide plank of two smaller boards! Enjoy the learning experience!