PDA

View Full Version : How to quote this job?

Daniel Cline
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Hello all,

First of all, I must say I learn or discover something new almost everyday from this group so thank you!

I have been ask to quote on a job and I am trying to figure it out...any help appreciated...

Etch images on 6 sides of an anodized block, the block is 3 inches square, price on 100, 500 and 1000.

I tend to do custom work, individual pieces so larger numbers are a new challenge to price.

Cheers,

Daniel

James Stokes
12-03-2008, 4:30 PM
Something like that I would figure out how long it takes to do one then figure an hourly rate and charge from that.

Joe Pelonio
12-03-2008, 5:07 PM
Don't forget to include the time turning it over and over, especially if you have to be careful about what direction is up for engraving the image on each side.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-03-2008, 6:16 PM
Good Point Joe but I think he has an open flat bed laser, so if Daniel makes a jig/template to hold say 10 blocks across and 10 down, he could actually be turning them after each row has been lasered, safely of coarse, so this would maximize his time. If he sets it to laser from the bottom up would probably be the best. I still agree with you to take that into to consideration on how to charge but it will give him a little flexibility to discount on the 1000 unit order. Now this assumes they are all the same or can be sorted evenly.

I usually run one unit and base my pricing on that per minute charge for a single piece and then multiply that by # of units. The savings of multiple units is less set up time for me and it also allows me the ability to discount larger orders with out really cutting into profit. Look at it this way. If they are happy with the small quantity price they will be even happier with a larger quantity discount. I usually mention it so that they can see the difference. Sometimes it is better for them to add on to the order now because it is less for shipping

Daniel Cline
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone,

And yes, my table is a 4' x 8' Camtech L20 so I could create a template and actually do 450 in one run!

It take 6 min. to run one side but when 15 are put in a row the per piece time would be less, so I have some flexibility on price.

Part of me wants the job and part of me doesn't. Flipping a 1,000 little blocks...then I think of the $ in a down economy...hummmm.

What do you guys charge per hour for your laser time?

Dan

Jack Harper
12-04-2008, 3:06 PM
Danial - These are the kind of jobs I like. A job that can take advantage of the larger laser table and can run non-stop for hours. You should be able to bid this far lower than a small format laser bidder. Does the image change side to side and block to block or will it be the same for each? This will make the biggest difference for bidding the job.

Dave Yanke
12-04-2008, 3:30 PM
There was a discussion in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91280&highlight=pricing) that includes a spreadsheet in one of the posts that is quite helpful by Margaret Turco.
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91280&highlight=pricing)

Stephen Beckham
12-05-2008, 8:00 AM
Thanks everyone,

And yes, my table is a 4' x 8' Camtech L20 so I could create a template and actually do 450 in one run!

Hey - c'mon... That's got to be agains the TOS or something - open braggin' like that.... It's going to take hours of therapy to get my Mini to think he contributes to society again....:eek:

Dan Hintz
12-05-2008, 8:23 AM
Daniel,

Out of curiosity, what's the linear speed (ips) you get out of the table when doing real etch work?