PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Ideas

Gene Hobbs
12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello Everyone
I need some help. I have been ask to come up with a unique award for a racing series that I build trophies for. They want something different. It should represent the drag racing side of racing. I am looking to make something out of acrylic. The only problem is this is not your normal drag racing. These are pretty much street cars with around 3000HP They are called Outlaws. Any Ideas??

Thanks Gene

Scott Challoner
12-03-2008, 1:24 PM
Not really an idea, but I saw a guy in a T-shirt last summer that said "I didn't want to tell my mom I was in drag racing for 20 years so I told her I
was in prison."

I thought it was funny and maybe it will fit the Outlaws.

You can probably use the phrase for any activity.

I didn't want to tell my wife I was a laser engraver for 2 years so I told her I was in prison

Yeah. That works.

Jack Harper
12-03-2008, 2:31 PM
When I think racing and high end cars, I think anodized. They use a lot of anodized fixtures in very bright colors on the cars/engines. If cost is not a problem, you might think about some very bright anodized aluminum piece in a unique shape. Just pick up some aluminum from your local steel supplier and find a laser or waterjet company to cut the shapes and then take it to be anodized the color you want. Then just laser away. The cost may be less than you think. Just remember to spec 5052 aluminum as it is the least expensive to buy and will cut faster/cheaper. With that said, if you want to do a thick piece you will need to go with 6061.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
What about making an award to look like the starting lights? Make it out of acrylic and have the differnt colors of acrylic for the different colors of the lights. Mount those on a piece of black acrylic like the lights are mounted on a pole. In the acrylic etch what you want the award to say.

Just my two cents..
Jessica

Michael Bareno
12-04-2008, 2:07 PM
What about making an award to look like the starting lights? Make it out of acrylic and have the differnt colors of acrylic for the different colors of the lights. Mount those on a piece of black acrylic like the lights are mounted on a pole. In the acrylic etch what you want the award to say.

Just my two cents..
Jessica

I believe Jessica is referring to something similar to this "X-Mas tree" trophy: http://www.bentontrophy.com/productpages/resins/cat-resins/RFC-1088.html

Gene Hobbs
12-04-2008, 7:53 PM
You guys won't believe this but I have been looking for that Christmas tree trophy everywhere and could not find it. I have seen them at a few races but could not find a place to buy them. Now I just need to find out who the Distributor is for them, instead of buying them from another trophy shop.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Bill Cunningham
12-04-2008, 9:25 PM
Not really an idea, but I saw a guy in a T-shirt last summer that said "I didn't want to tell my mom I was in drag racing for 20 years so I told her I
was in prison."

I thought it was funny and maybe it will fit the Outlaws.

You can probably use the phrase for any activity.

I didn't want to tell my wife I was a laser engraver for 2 years so I told her I was in prison

Yeah. That works.

Hmmm "Drag" racing certainly does not conger up the same image it did in the 60's (don't ask, don't tell):D

Mike Null
12-05-2008, 7:28 AM
I think Jessica's on to something. How about fabricating your own on a lighted LED type base.