PDA

View Full Version : Jointer problems-me or the machine.

Tony Sade
06-08-2004, 12:11 PM
All of a sudden, I can't get a tight joint using my 8" Grizzly long bed jointer, and I can't figure out what I am (or the jointer is) doing wrong. I'm milling some 4' white oak for a table top and the boards meet in the middle but not at the ends. I'm getting a gap, when I press the pieces together on one end, of about 3/32".

First let me say that while I've been ww'ing for a while, I'm still a very part time hobbyist and thus consider myself only a step (maybe a step and a half) up from a novice. I've used a jointer a fair amount, though, both a Jet 6" and the Grizzly. I've never had this problem before. I'm using what I've always thought is the proper technique-transfer pressure to the outfeed side when the board's about 6-8" past the cutter head, keeping steady even pressure. I usually set the tables to take off 1/32" per pass. That's always worked for me in the past.

I suspect something's outta whack on the machine, but I can't find it. I've checked and the beds seem flat, level and co-planar. I only have a 40" straight edge that used to be sold by Lee Valley and that's supposed to be accurate to +/- .003, but as near as I can tell everything's as it should be. (I realize 40" is a bit short to check level over 6', but by holding it tight to one side and sliding it out over the other table, I should be able to spot any noticable change in the gap and I don't.) Using a feeler guage and manipulating both tables this way and that, I see nothing that looks misaligned. Logic tell me that the likely culprit is tables that are up at the ends,(the opposite of what I understand usually happens to tables-they sag at the ends, right?) but I don't find that to be the case.

I'm stumped. Help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jim Taylor
06-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm certainly no one to be giving advice in this area, I seem to be constantly tweaking my jointer.

However, I don't see you mention the blade height vs outfeed table. To high or too low will cause snipe like issues.

-Jim, still tweakig mine... just got a feeler gauge...

Mike Scoggins
06-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Tony,

Follow this link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8320

Your problem sounds much like the one I had, which turned out to be an easy fix. My outfeed table was just a hair low compared to the cutter head with a knife at top dead center.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Matthew Dworman
06-08-2004, 2:37 PM
These past 2 posts are exactly correct. Your snipe is a result of an improperly set outfeed table. Although most people say that your outfeed table should be set to the same hight as the cutterheads, it should actually be set just a fraction lower. The best results are found when placing a ruler over the outfeed tables and cutterheads, the ruler travels forward by about 3mm with one manual pass of the blade. (Make sure the machine is unplugged!!!) Again, rotate the cutterhead by hand causing the blade to engage the ruler, when it carries it forward by 3mm - you should be perfect! - double check this with each of the blades to make sure that they Are each set up to the same hight as well!

Good luck

Matthew