PDA

View Full Version : Photo Help

Steve Clarkson
12-03-2008, 6:42 AM
I'm trying to learn photo engraving and I'm encountering two issues that I hope someone can help me with.

First, after using the cutout lab in PhotoPaint, I resample my image to 5x7". When I open it in Photograv, the photo is there but with a black background that is 5x7" and my "cutout" is much smaller. At this point, I could resize the image.....but there are no real measuring tools in Photograv, so it's a guess as to how big my cutout is. Then when I import into CorelDraw, the black box determines the size. So my question is, how do you correctly size a cutout image or eliminate the black box background in Photograv so my cutout image is the size that I need? If that makes sense.

Secondly.....any recommendations for trying to do micro-images? I'm trying to engrave a photo on a black agate stone (similar to the black onyx jewelry)....and although my image engraves perfectly in say acrylic at a 5x7 size.....when I try to do it (with new settings) on a 1x2" stone....all I get is a white cloud. Are there any tricks for doing really small photos?

Thanks!

Frank Corker
12-03-2008, 9:11 AM
The reason your cutout is black is because it is transparent. You can use the options to change that.

For reliable size on your image, always resize it before you send it to phtograv.

Micro sized images are always going to be a problem and will depend on the image itself. Line drawings at that size are a better bet. Because your subject matter is going to be black the image needs to be a negative or after you have engraved it, you will have created a negative.

Don Gares
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Steve,

This response is coming from someone who is also in the learning process thus you may want to take it with a grain of salt.

If I remember correctly you can change the size in photoGrav 3.0 (I tried Version 3 once and sent it back) but you cannot change the size in 2.11. Thus if you are using 2.11 crop the photo as tight as possible to the actual image that you want to engrave prior to going to PhotoGrav.

As far as the small image goes, a simple rule is "do not change the image size after PhotoGrav, change it before". I have engraved several quite small photos and they have came out acceptable. In fact, the two photos on the Xmas card that I posted are only 1.25" high but I have engraved photos down to .75".

Don

Roy Brewer
12-03-2008, 9:44 PM
...how do you correctly size a cutout image or eliminate the black box background in Photograv so my cutout image is the size that I need?Steve,
I couldn't tell if you wanted the black background(?). When PhotoPAINT saves a file it merges it with the default background. You want black if you're doing anodized AL, black/dark marble, etc.

Change your background color in PhotoPAINT to white before saving if you will be putting dark dots on light substrates (white plastic, wood, etc.).

Sizing? While not completely necessary, many find it easy to Image>Page Size to 5x7(in your example) and resample image till it fills the appropriate amount of area in your page.

Steve Clarkson
12-04-2008, 7:13 AM
The reason your cutout is black is because it is transparent. You can use the options to change that.

Line drawings at that size are a better bet.

Frank,

A little step-by-step would be GREATLY appreciated! You mention that the cutout is transparent and I can use the options to change that....do you mean in PhotoPaint? What options are you referring to?

Also....I took a bitmap photo into Corel Trace....when I did Line Art it lopped off the top of his head......how do I re-draw that portion? Also, when I did High Quality image, the most detail remained, but it looked fractured....almost like a cracked glass or jigsaw puzzle. Is there a way to smooth this out, or will the image actually engrave well (kind of like how PG photos look funny but still engrave well)?

As always, thank you sooo much for you never-ending tutaledge!

Steve Clarkson
12-04-2008, 7:18 AM
Roy,

Thank you very much for advising about the page size.....that helped to reduce the black square tremendously, thus improving my ability to resize the image correctly. It really solved that problem.

However, I did change the background to white, but when I import the image to Photograv it still comes in as black....I assume that there is no way to fix that...

Thanks again for you help!

Roy Brewer
12-05-2008, 12:51 AM
....I assume that there is no way to fix that...Steve,
It is very "fixable" for laser engraving.
Try this.
Use cutout lab
be sure background set to white
convert your graphic to grayscale
----(necessary for older PhotoGraV, but I now assume you're using 3.0)
----(answer "go ahead" when warning comes up)
----and you'll see "right before your very eyes" that the backgound will be "merged" to "replace" the transparency.

Now save your file and continue as expected much earlier.

Steve Clarkson
12-05-2008, 6:00 AM
Thanks again...that was very helpful.