PDA

View Full Version : Small problem installing riser block on 14" bandsaw....

Mike Langford
12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I ordered a 6" riser block kit (Jet) last Friday (Amazon w/free shipping!) and received it today! (4 days total - 2 days on a weekend!)
The kit install was pretty straightforward and easy, with no hiccups except when I went to install the blade.....

.....I fought with the (105") blade trying to get it on the wheels but it was just a gnat's hair to short!! :eek:.....So I had to modify the upper sheet metal to allow the blade tensioner/trunnion to drop down enough for the blade to go on (see pics)

Has anyone else who has installed a riser block run into this problem?
102605 102606

After that the blade went on fine....just needed that gnat's hair clearance!

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this kit.....the paint of the riser matches my bandsaw exactly!......even though they were probably painted years apart!........
102607 102608

Mike Langford
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Here are the Before & After pics.......

BEFORE.....

AFTER......
102610 102611

Michael Wildt
12-03-2008, 8:32 AM
Congrats with the new purchase. The install looks good, but then again I know nothing about bandsaws.

I have read about some models supporting a riser kit, but this is the first time I see it. Would you mind commenting on the following; I can see it makes the frame taller, but does it make less stiff ?

Thanks,
Michael

Chris Schumann
12-03-2008, 9:02 AM
.....I fought with the (105") blade trying to get it on the wheels but it was just a gnat's hair to short!! :eek:.....So I had to modify the upper sheet metal to allow the blade tensioner/trunnion to drop down enough for the blade to go on (see pics)

Has anyone else who has installed a riser block run into this problem?
I had to wait two months for mine, as I have a newer Jet 14" (JWB-14OS model 708113A), so I needed the A suffix on the riser (JRB-14A, 708113A).

In any case, my tensioner also would not go low enough for the 105" blade to fit... at first. I thought about getting out a file, but the tensioner moved backwards while I was removing the blade, and slid down enough for the blade to easily slide on.

That might not work with yours, since I have a slightly different saw. I know the bolt holes in the riser block are different for sure, so there may be other subtle differences.

Mike Langford
12-03-2008, 3:38 PM
.....Would you mind commenting on the following; I can see it makes the frame taller, but does it make less stiff ?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, the riser block is a heavy cast iron piece (I read in some on-line reviews that it was aluminum).......You separate the column and place the 6" riser block in between with a longer bolt.
The block is pretty stout.....Plenty strong enough to support the upper wheel column with no flex.....

The block has nice flat machine surfaces with locating pins for the upper and lower halves of the columns (I even scuffed the surface with sandpaper and applied glue to the mating surfaces! :D but I'm known as "Overkill Joe")....but once bolted together,it's solid as a rock!

Chris, I wasn't aware there was a difference between the newer Jet closed base bandsaws!

You know, now that you've explained how you did yours.....I could have just loosened the blade tracking bolt to allow the trunnion to drop behind the sheet metal!!! :eek:....Oh well, I'll know next time! :o (At least now I won't have to mess with the tracking when I install a new blade!)

Michael Wildt
12-03-2008, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense now.

Thanks,
Michael

Chris Schumann
12-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Chris, I wasn't aware there was a difference between the newer Jet closed base bandsaws!

You know, now that you've explained how you did yours.....I could have just loosened the blade tracking bolt to allow the trunnion to drop behind the sheet metal!!! :eek:....Oh well, I'll know next time! :o (At least now I won't have to mess with the tracking when I install a new blade!)
Sorry. I have the open stand saw, so that may not apply to you.

And you always have to mess with tracking for a new blade, don't you? Well, one of different width, anyway.

Lance Norris
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
And you always have to mess with tracking for a new blade, don't you? Well, one of different width, anyway.

Any time you change a blade, even if its the same width, check the tracking. Also keep in mind that bandsaw blades are cut from long coils of blade stock and the ends are welded together to form the band. They are never exactly the correct length. This is why a 105" blade may have been too short to fit when the riser was installed. Modifying your saw the way you did is fine.