PDA

View Full Version : Got an older 22-44....need help

Clisby Clark
12-02-2008, 9:16 PM
I picked up an older 22-44-the one with the three-point base. It doesn't say if it is a Pro or Plus model. It is made in the USA.

First, is there a mobile base option for this machine? Could I just replace the pads with good locking casters?

Second, where can I go online to get an owners manual?

Third. It's wired now for 110- I've got 220 available-should I rewire it?

Any other tips and/or advice will be greatly appreciated (I found out on the first board to take light passes, so I do know that already!)

Thanks in advance

Mike Langford
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Hello Clisby,

I have an older 22-44 (Pro-Max III)......(does your base look like mine?)

No mobile base I know of....mine came with the standard (post type/non locking) wheels offered by Performax at the time.....The locking/swivel ones would work great on it!

Also I don't know if the manual is available on-line......but my printer has a copier/scanner....so if you give me a few days (to try and figure out how to use it! :D)......I'll make you a copy of my manual and send it to ya!

As far as rewiring it to 220v.....I've never had any problems with 110v so I can't help you with that question......

.....And YES....take light passes! ;)

I'll PM you for your address when I get the manual copied!....You are in the U.S. right?

Mike

Clisby Clark
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
mine only has three legs. It looks like I could use casters like yours, though. The table, like the head is only supported on one side. I've been doing some research online and have not seen another onle like it yet.

Mike Langford
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Mine is suppose to be supported only on one side (like the picture on the manual) but I modified mine with a post from a old floor model drill press....

The open end is how you get the 44" width....It's called a cantilevered style sander......with it only being supported on one end [the problem] is that it has to be set "a little" higher on the open end to keep from making a sanding line on pieces wider that the drum.

They claim the open end has a tendency to flex.....causing uneven/inconsistent sanding.....

You probably won't find to much on the older machines on-line since JET now owns Performax (and Powermatic)

Frank Stolten
12-04-2008, 1:15 AM
I tnink you may have the same one as I have except mine is labeled S/T on the dust shroud. However, I believe it's basically the same as the 22-44. At least, the photos I've seen look identical. I bought mine used and it came with locking swivel casters and they are truly excellent, no play whatsoever. I highly recommend them since the sander is rather heavy to move around.

I contacted WMH Tool Group several years ago to get the manuals and they sent me pdf files for all 3 manuals that pertain to this unit. If you PM me with your e-mail address I'll send them to you.

From looking at the WMH web site I believe the locking swivel casters are still available since they're shown on the current model sanders. Supermax also shows their sanders with locking swivel casters and may, in fact, be using the same ones. One of these companies should be able to help you.