PDA

View Full Version : need help with what to make

curtis rosche
12-02-2008, 9:09 PM
at our school we had a teacher die in a car accident on thanksgiving. what would be an appropriate "gift" (right word?) to make for the family? ie. bowl, platter, something on the spindle, . she was a computer science teacher, she was only 27, her 3rd year teaching. i was thinking something like a platter and then try to burn something nice on it.
your thoughts would be helpful

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 9:32 PM
One of these but with a 2 or 4 sided cameo w/ picture of her in the middle vs a xmas tree.

Then the family will use it every year. You could tackle the 15 year old experience challenge by assigning different tasks along the build process.

http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm

Just an idea. Sorry to hear about the tragedy.

Scott Conners
12-02-2008, 9:36 PM
I'd make a nice platter and have it laser engraved.So sorry for your loss.

Curt Fuller
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Anything you make will be a nice token to the family and will let them know you cared about her.

RL Johnson
12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Our club has a tradition of making a platter and having the members sign it for the spouse of our dearly departed. You may wish to make a platter and have her students sign it.

jim tracy
12-03-2008, 6:34 AM
As I also work in a high school, I think RL Johnson idea is a great gift for the family. My condolences to you , the kids at school, and her family.

Jim Becker
12-03-2008, 7:49 AM
I agree that RL Johnson's idea has great merit for this situation.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2008, 7:53 AM
Curtis, so sorry for your loss! I also agree with RL's suggestion. Sounds like a great way to do something for the family that includes a lot of people whose lives she had touched.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2008, 9:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of a loved one. I agree with R. L. They made a platter at my old high school and everyone signed it and then they put on the finish. Really came out nice. My nephew that I gave one of my lathes to helped with it.

Dave Carey
12-03-2008, 7:02 PM
A signed platter is a great idea but I'm sure that anything you make in her name will be cherished by her family. Just the fact that you took the time and trouble to create a one of a kind item speaks volumes - about her and you.

curtis rosche
12-03-2008, 7:10 PM
i didnt not have her as a teacher, i only met her once. but still i think it is right. we also had an english teacher die from cancer on tuesday, she had taught for 35 years at our school, i had her for class she was one of those great old teachers.

the school already got a large card for the students to sign, and a lot of the students have written letters to the families. i would love to do the laser engraving thing, but i dont know anyone who has a laser or the time, and i dont have the money.
i really like deweys idea its just a simple split turned peice that has a picture in the center, right? maple should work nicely for this right?