PDA

View Full Version : How to get this stain off a brand new table?

Lewis Cobb
12-02-2008, 8:17 PM
I am putting together my new Powermatic 14" bandsaw and having a miserable time trying to get this stain off the extension table. It looks like something must have leached under the protective plastic / cosmoline at the factory and left a stain around the perimeter.

I have tried about 1 hour of rubbing with mineral spirits as well as WD-40 but it's still the same as when I started. I gave up and came in from the shop for the night but figured I'd toss this up to see if others have had the same issue and might offer up some suggestions.

I don't really want to try an abrasive of some type as I will surely end up with a mismatch between the extension and the main table and that will torment me even more !

Anyway, here's the pic. It's not going to affect the operation of the tool but I'd like to start with something shiny and make the scratches and marks myself :)

Cheers,
Lewis
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Bandsaw/ext_table.jpg

Paul Atkins
12-02-2008, 8:24 PM
It's oxidation. Bolt it on. Sand the whole thing with ROS. In a week the whole table will all look the same. Throw a couple of wet burls on there and the whole thing will look that way anyway. I'm just jealous 'cause I've never had a new power tool out of the box.

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 9:23 PM
Lewis,
Over time the top will need cleaning anyway and will get "burnished" to the same color. Just bite the bullet for now and go with a mild abrasive. It will even out color-wise in the long run. In the meantime enjoy your new tool and pick up the Boeshield 3-Part Tool Care Kit (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkxsS7TVJD3gA0AZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMGNoazZ wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0gxODRfODI-/SIG=12arn39vi/EXP=1228357266/**http%3a//www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/boeshieldrvu.html) and some wax for the top.:)

By the way,
I have the PWS-14 which I am guessing is the same saw and that happend to mine exactly.

Want to see it now?

glenn bradley
12-02-2008, 9:43 PM
I'm from a different school of thought; new tool should look new. Ask for a replacement. My 2 year old CI looks just shy of new and has been worked hard. My 1940's CI is dark and smooth. I clean up shadows if and when they appear on the new stuff and wax all my CI regularly. In 70 years maybe my grandkids will be waxing my "new" stuff.

I use my tools as tools, not as showpieces but, that doesn't mean they have to be neglected. Don't you wipe down your socket set when you're done with it? Clean your brushes? Same logic here. Ask for a replacement; let them clean it.

Lewis Cobb
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback and opinions on this. It won't hurt to ask for a replacement I guess. Will give that a try tomorrow.

If that fails, I'll probably just live with it rather than taking the ROS to a new tool. I do have access to a local friend that has a surface grinder now that I think about it. Rather than taking the ROS to the top, I'd go that route. It's a real precision thing from the UK and can probably shave 1/10 of a thou off if needed. Magnetic clamp, spinning wheel that auto indexes across the face as it runs back and forth lengthwise.

Anyway, will report back with the results.

In the meantime, I have several other machines I bought at the same time as this bandsaw that have to be set up so I am not sitting idle (future multi-gloat coming here... :D )

Cheers,
Lewis

Frank Gilbert
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Try some fine light duty car polish and/or a small amount of acetone. Likely not a cure, however, you may get lucky and at least no harm done.

Jeff Duncan
12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Try out lacquer thinner first, that's what I use to remove the cosmoline in the rare times I've bought new equipment. If your really worried about it (and I wouldn't be) use the random orbit on it. The idea of putting it on a surface grinder is like repainting your whole car b/c you got tiny little chip in the paint, it's so far overkill it's not really a serious option for most people.
good luck,
JeffD

Lewis Cobb
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Try out lacquer thinner first, that's what I use to remove the cosmoline in the rare times I've bought new equipment. If your really worried about it (and I wouldn't be) use the random orbit on it. The idea of putting it on a surface grinder is like repainting your whole car b/c you got tiny little chip in the paint, it's so far overkill it's not really a serious option for most people.
good luck,
JeffD

Jeff - I agree with your statement on the overkill of the surface grinder. However, it would be a FREE exercise and more one of curiosity than necessity. I'm going to torment Powermatic first and if that yields nothing, I'll try a few more solvents and cleaners. After that, I just might bolt it up and forget about it. Someday WHEN the table is beat up a little more, I'll haul out the ROS and try that.

Cheers,
Lewis

Mark Berenbrok
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Try a sanding block with some 320 or 600 wet/dry sandpaper lubricated with mineral spirits. It's a lot less aggressive than a ROS and you'll be polishing more than abrading. It worked like a charm on my jointer tables.

Lewis Cobb
12-03-2008, 6:06 PM
Well that was easy. I called and explained the situation to a fellow on the tech line and he's sending out a replacement no questions asked :D

I am awaiting a response on if he needs me to ship the corroded one back and what address, but in the meantime I think I will bolt it up to the machine so that I can get everything else finished as far as the assy process goes.

I'm thinking that if they do not want the orignal one back, I may use that as a test specimin to try a wet sand with 600+ grit and mineral spirits, followed by more aggresive techniques suggested here as a learning exercise if nothing else.

Let's hope it's all together and worthy of a gloat thread in the not too distant future.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions folks,
Lewis

glenn bradley
12-03-2008, 6:34 PM
Well that was easy. I called and explained the situation to a fellow on the tech line and he's sending out a replacement no questions asked :D

And there you have it. There is no need for us to accept these types of problems on new tools. Glad you were able to save your elbow grease for someof those other tools you need to assemble ;-)

Karl Brogger
12-03-2008, 6:49 PM
Don't bolt it on. No reason to.