PDA

View Full Version : Table saws and dog fights

Michael Weber
12-02-2008, 7:57 PM
Table saws are not the only way to lose fingers. Last week, my sister was out walking her dog (named Wolf appropriately enough). While passing along a fence, another dog (named Charley) inside the fence decides he doesn't much care for Wolf. Feeling being mutual, Wolf and Charley go at it and get their mouths locked together through an opening in the fence. Sister, in a classically bad move, reaches down to try and separate the dogs. She says she isn't sure which dog did it, but one of dogs bites OFF two of her fingers at the first joint. Just like that! Bam, gone. Not just bitten, not hanging by some skin but GONE. She remained calm and says it didn't hurt at the time. Pain came later after a trip to the ER. Never did find the ends of her fingers. Says she doesn't really mind:confused:, it won't affect her golf swing. I'm guessing she is handling it better than I would.

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 8:01 PM
That is an odd story.

Not only that her fingers got bit off but

(2) of them???

and she never found either???

and doesn't know which dog???

through a fence???

:confused::confused::confused:

Karl Brogger
12-02-2008, 8:57 PM
Holy smokes!

Michael Weber
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
That is an odd story.

Not only that her fingers got bit off but

(2) of them???

and she never found either???

and doesn't know which dog???

through a fence???

:confused::confused::confused:

Tis Odd, but true. If you could see the size of her dog you might say she was lucky she didn't lose her hand. It's part German Shepherd and has the biggest head I have ever seen on a dog.

Tom Veatch
12-03-2008, 1:08 AM
Many people may not realize that a moderately sized dog can easily amputate a human finger. A dog's molars, unlike ours, are designed for shearing and they can develop a very high bite force. Getting a finger between those is akin to clamping down on it with a pair of lopping shears.

We had a female Lab mix that weighed in at about 70#. She developed canine epilepsy and our vet cautioned us in no uncertain terms that when she went into a seizure to keep our hands well away from her mouth or we could easily lose a finger. When she began having uncontrolled grand mal type seizures about every 4 hours we had to have her put down. That's a picture of her in my avatar.

Peter Stahl
12-03-2008, 6:37 AM
Wow! A woman I used to work with took her dog to her fathers house while she worked. Well her dog and one of his got into a fight and he tried to break it up and lost part of a digit. She was really upset but still took her dog there again. I think his dog was a Shepard mix and hers was a Austrailian Shepard, both good sized dogs. I would never try to break up a dog fight. One fear I have when walking my dog is a attack. I have 2 little Jack Russel terriers and they don't back down from a fight. My little female was bit twice by my daughters dog, almost killered her once. Bit bull mix verses JR not a fair match up. Hope your sisters fingers heal well.

Justin Leiwig
12-03-2008, 7:49 AM
I'm guessing she is handling it better than I would.

I guess! I'd have two dead dogs on my hands if that happened to me.

Al Willits
12-03-2008, 8:39 AM
Not a dog owner are you Justin...least I hope not.

Al

Greg Cole
12-03-2008, 9:16 AM
I came home to see a pit bull and an akita both teaming up on my sisters old Chesapeake Bay Retriever quite a few years ago now. Horrid sight seeing those 2 ba$tards both trying to end the life of a good dog... literally like a scene from a movie. Worst of all it looked as my sisters dog was attacked by them in his dog bed in our garage! We lived in the boonies so we always left the dog in the garage and left the back door open for him.
Anyway, I grabbed the first long heavy stick I could find, happened to be a good ol' 2x4 and started wailing away. Fight ended pretty quick.
The Chessie definately got the worst of it, but many stitches and bandages later.... he was fine. The other 2 mutts met their fate after they were "impounded".
Never did get all the blood out of the seat of my truck from bringing him to the vet's that day either.

Ben Rafael
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Holy smokes!

Indeed.....

Brent Smith
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I came home to see a pit bull and an akita both teaming up on my sisters old Chesapeake Bay Retriever quite a few years ago now. Horrid sight seeing those 2 ba$tards both trying to end the life of a good dog... literally like a scene from a movie. Worst of all it looked as my sisters dog was attacked by them in his dog bed in our garage! We lived in the boonies so we always left the dog in the garage and left the back door open for him.
Anyway, I grabbed the first long heavy stick I could find, happened to be a good ol' 2x4 and started wailing away. Fight ended pretty quick.
The Chessie definately got the worst of it, but many stitches and bandages later.... he was fine. The other 2 mutts met their fate after they were "impounded".
Never did get all the blood out of the seat of my truck from bringing him to the vet's that day either.

Dogs attacking Dogs is one of the worst things you can watch. Some people bring up their dogs to be a visible extension of their own perceived 'short comings'. Other's bring them up to be members of the family. I work in the business and the story I always hear from the first group is that they want something to protect their homes.....I say buy a gun. A dog should not be used as a weapon, trained that way, or brought up in such a manner that it is going to attack other dogs or people. All dogs will let you know if there is danger present, it's up to you to handle it. There is no breed that can't be brought up to be a friendly, or at least tolerant dog.

All the dogs I've owned in my adult life have been breeds that are feared by most just to see them. Neapolitan Mastiffs, Cane Corsos, American Bulldogs, Tosa Inu and my present dog a Dogue de Bordeaux. None of these dogs were brought up to exhibit any form of aggression. They all would back away from a fight on command. A few years back there was a fool that lived near bye who got it in his head that having a Pit bull would elevate his status. He made a point of finding one that was known for his aggressive nature. This dog attacked and killed 2 smaller dogs in the neighborhood during two separate attacks. At the time I had a 165 lbs Cane Corso. The Pitbull had enough sense to walk around my dog, but the owner didn't. He decided it was a personal affront to him that his dog wasn't able to bully mine and one day goaded his dog into attacking. I'd seen this coming for a week or so and had started carrying a walking stick on my dog walks. One smack across the Pitbull's head and the fight went out of him. Showing the guy the stick and asking if he had an opinion of what I should smack next sent him on his way, and a few days later he didn't have the dog anymore.

The moral here is, use a stick to stop an aggressive dog and if need be to teach an ignorant owner a lesson on raising and caring for a dog.

Justin Leiwig
12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Not a dog owner are you Justin...least I hope not.

Al

Yup all my life as a matter of fact. Have a husky right now that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world, she's a beaut. But the day she causes me to loose a finger or any other body part, she'll be a dead dog. No ifs or buts about it. That's a danger that I don't want to expose anyone else to.

Joe Petersen
12-03-2008, 8:17 PM
But the day she causes me to loose a finger or any other body part, she'll be a dead dog. No ifs or buts about it. That's a danger that I don't want to expose anyone else to.

I'm going to have to agree with that comment. Anyone ever seen Old Yeller?

Of course I wouldn't stick my hand in a dogfight either. Stuff happens and I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Justin Leiwig
12-03-2008, 9:28 PM
Of course I wouldn't stick my hand in a dogfight either.

I was going to mention that but I figured I had ticked off enough people for one night. I'm sure it was a spontaneous reaction on her part, but everyone should have a healthy fear of animals both wild and domestic. I know that my husky has something like 650 lbs psi of chomping pressure from what the vet said when she snapped a skunks neck.

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Yup all my life as a matter of fact. Have a husky right now that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world, she's a beaut. But the day she causes me to loose a finger or any other body part, she'll be a dead dog. No ifs or buts about it. That's a danger that I don't want to expose anyone else to.

I agree Justin. I've had dogs all my childhood days and up until I went in the military. Where I went my dog went...best of friends.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I am a dog lover.

When I retire, I want a couple more dogs.

But I bought a registered black cocker spaniel for my youngest son's 10th birthday.

One night he was sleeping in the floor...nobody touching him. He woke up rolled over and snapped my daughter in the face....8 stiches to repair the damage to her face.

6 months later...same scenario......this time 6 stitches in my youngest son's face....Nobody bothering him....he's sleeping wakes up and bites someone.

I called every vet in town. Everyone told me the same thing. Neutering won't help. The dog was bred for show not for personality. Put him down. They all said there are too many good dogs to put up with one that had a bad personality. I took him to the vet and had him put down.

As much as I love dogs I won't have one you can't trust.

We replaced him with a female Samoyed "Snowball" and a female dachshound. The Samoyed...I saw my 7 month old granddaughter put her fist and arm all the way down the Samoyed's throat. Snowball kept her lower jaw on the floor....opened her mouth....raised her up her hips......backed the tykes hand and arm out of her mouth...and left the room. She had had enough. But she never bit my granddaughter.

We had to put the Samoyed down due to failing health after we had her 12 years . That was 11 years ago. I still miss Snowball.

Denny Rice
12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Digits in the belly of one of the dogs.....Time to sell a couple of dogs to the local Chinese restraunt and I'm opening up a couple of dogs to find my fingers.

Jia Smith
09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Interesting, but not too good to know. Actually, I'm curious to know that how the both
dogs caught their mouth with each other one's. :)
It could be better if some pics could be shared.

Michael Weber
09-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Interesting, but not too good to know. Actually, I'm curious to know that how the both
dogs caught their mouth with each other one's. :)
It could be better if some pics could be shared.
Ha, I'd forgotten about this post. Been a while. I'm not going to ask my sister for a picture of her hand:rolleyes: Her dog has since been put down but not because of the finger incident. Just old age and some kind of genetic disease. The other dog, Charley, is still alive and well.

David Weaver
09-27-2012, 11:44 AM
This whole thread, and not a single joke about a new product called Dogstop?

Belinda Barfield
09-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Ouch! Dang, I won't even break up a cat fight. Michael, I can't believe your sister isn't upset. I think I'd miss the ends of two fingers pretty badly.

ray hampton
09-27-2012, 7:09 PM
I know four ways to break up a dog fight , water hose, gun, big stick or a dog -eating crocodile, If you will watch a dog-catcher catch a dog , some dogs require a noose and two men to walk the dog to the truck