PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear

Jon Lanier
12-02-2008, 7:05 PM
This wood came from the wind storm a while back. It is a Bradford Pear that came down in a church family's yard. The lady really loved that tree so this is going to be a slight rememberance for her. I'm planning on giving it 'back' to her tomorrow night.

It is about 8" around at the rim and about 2.5" high. The shape is experimental for me as is the wood. Who knew I could something beside spalted maple? :rolleyes:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3917/bradfordpearbowl1ft0.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4615/bradfordpearbowl2ri1.jpg

David Walser
12-02-2008, 7:20 PM
I've never seen Bradford pear before. Your example has very beautiful grain and color. I like the form. The recipient should love it.

charlie knighton
12-02-2008, 7:46 PM
very nice bowl, one of the things i really like to do is turn a wood i have never turned before, mother nature is full of surprizes :D

Steve Mawson
12-02-2008, 8:54 PM
Lucky Lady, looks great

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Beautiful bowl Jon. She is going to love it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Jon - beautiful wood! I am sure the lady will love the bowl and appreciate your thoughtfulness! Very nice work!

Chuck Jones
12-03-2008, 10:36 PM
... wind storm a while back.

Jon,

Beautiful piece.

How long ago was a "while back"? I'm curious how you got the wood dried. Did you rough turn it? I have a large bradford pear chunk from tornado damage last February. The ends are sealed and it has not checked, but I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it. The only pear wood I've turned was a "regular" pear tree and it check and cracked and moved to the next county.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Jon,

Pretty piece! I've turned bradford pear one time. I really enjoyed it!

Jon Lanier
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Jon,

Beautiful piece.

How long ago was a "while back"? I'm curious how you got the wood dried. Did you rough turn it? I have a large bradford pear chunk from tornado damage last February. The ends are sealed and it has not checked, but I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it. The only pear wood I've turned was a "regular" pear tree and it check and cracked and moved to the next county.

Well for over a month it sat in the basement in half log form, then roughed it out and then I DNA/bagged it for about 2 weeks