PDA

View Full Version : Cherry buffet - new guy to SMC

Charles Saunders
12-02-2008, 6:19 PM
I am new to this site and these forums. I stumbled into SMC entirely by accident while looking for a hardware source. I was impressed with the knowledgeable responses and your supportive and helpful membership. I decided to join to learn what I can and to contribute in instances where my thoughts might add some value. Having been a woodworker for a fairly long time, I’ve built a number of furniture pieces over the years and have even completed a large project now and then.

Most recently I lost my job as a result of a merger and have had more free time than I ever thought I needed. But for years I wanted to build the Cherry buffet on the cover of the Robert Yoder book Cabinetry, (1992, Rodale Press), and I capitalized on the available time to do it in a couple months of about half-time work. The time required explains why an unemployed IT guy shouldn’t plan to make a living building furniture! I have attached a couple of photos.

The construction is faithful to the plan in the book. I used OSB core Cherry plywood (new to me) for the sides and Birch plywood for the interior parts of the carcase and back. The top, doors, moldings and face trim are solid Cherry. The finish is General Finishes Antique Cherry stain followed by a shellac wash coat, and several coats of GF satin or semi-gloss oil/poly wipe-on finish, all sanded with 400-600 grit between coats. Hardest parts? Squaring the large carcase, milling and mitering the feet. The next challenge is to get it up the basement stairs… I will be looking for a plan for a table and chairs that would complement this piece and would welcome your ideas. As a “new guy” I look forward to interesting and informative discussions on the forums.

-CJS

Craig D Peltier
12-02-2008, 6:36 PM
Thats a real nice job. Love cherry! The finish looks very clean as well.

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Charles~! Thanks for sharing your beautiful buffet.

Leo Zick
12-02-2008, 6:49 PM
thats 'new guy' work? damn.

Brent Ring
12-02-2008, 6:57 PM
Very, Very, Very Nice!

Bruce Page
12-02-2008, 7:05 PM
Nice intro, we love to see others work! Beautiful craftsmanship on the buffet.
Welcome to SMC

Ted Shrader
12-02-2008, 7:16 PM
Charles -

Very nice work on the buffet...... Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas and advice.

Regards,
Ted

Mac Cambra
12-02-2008, 7:30 PM
I agree, very nice. I think the style you chose is very elegant and I I can't find any fault with the execution.

Paul Atkins
12-02-2008, 8:35 PM
Nice! Great finish too. Cherry is so fulfilling to work with. In a year or two the color will be richer and even more spectacular.

John Keeton
12-02-2008, 8:42 PM
Nicely done Charles, and welcome to the creek. Hope the job situation improves for you, although then we would not be blessed with pics of your fine work!!

Ron Fritz
12-02-2008, 9:16 PM
Outstanding craftsmanship Charles. The Cherry plywood worked well and looks great with the finish that you used. Ron

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 9:23 PM
Welcome to SMC, Charles...and that's a beautiful buffet!

John Thompson
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Excellent reproduction, Charles.. I cannot see the ply side very well in those photo's so.... how well does it match the beautiful face grain and trim? Looks good as far as I can see.. but was curious as I work with little ply and just wondered if I decide to use the cherry ply down the road?

Again... extremely well done...

Sarge..

Larry Fox
12-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the creek. That is an absolutely fantastic piece- well done.

Don Bullock
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow Charles, that's an impressive introduction. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. I hope your job situation improves, but I also hope to see more of your woodworking projects as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the Creek Charles! Beautiful buffet....Well done Sir!

gary Zimmel
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek Charles!

Beautiful looking buffet, well done....

Todd Crawford
12-03-2008, 9:29 AM
I really like the job you did on that buffet! I hear ya about getting it out of the basement. I had a friend build a doghouse in his shop once. I stopped by see him one day and he was in his shop putting the final coat of paint on. I walked in and said "Wow, nice doghouse. How wide is that?" You should have seen the look on his face as he realized he had built the doghouse 48" x 60" and only had a 36" door leading out of his shop!

Rob Cunningham
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Beautiful work Charles.

Dave Verstraete
12-03-2008, 1:22 PM
Charles
Great looking buffet. Welcome to the Creek.

Chuck Saunders
12-04-2008, 8:47 AM
That looks great! And I like your name as well. The location, well that is just plain spooky.
Welcome to the Creek
Chuck

Greg Cole
12-04-2008, 9:29 AM
Nice job Charles. Very classic design & style.
Nothing wrong with good ol' cherry either.
Welcome to the Creek from another KC'er.

Cheers.
Greg

Charles Saunders
12-04-2008, 6:28 PM
That looks great! And I like your name as well. The location, well that is just plain spooky.
Welcome to the Creek
Chuck
Yikes. I go by Chuck as well. When I registered I couldn't use that name so went with Charles and was going to check into that later. So interesting that we live relatively close. Thanks for your favorable comment and I look forward to further discussions.
-Chuck (Charles)

Charles Saunders
12-04-2008, 6:37 PM
In answer to the question about matching plywood and solid wood grain on the ends of my project, I don't usually try to match grain much, especially Cherry because it's all over the lot. But in this case I was fairly lucky. You can see the glue line and there are places where the color of pilasters varies a bit from sides. The OSB plywood is a little different from MDF or lumber core - the pieces I used needed to be scraped flat before sanding. Image attached. Thanks to all for the positive comments.
-CJS

Ron Jones near Indy
12-04-2008, 6:44 PM
Not much I can say that hasn't been said--welcome and very nice!

mreza Salav
12-04-2008, 6:50 PM
Very nice indeed. Well done!

Calvin Hobbs
12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Chuck,

Nice job on the buffet. I like the color and finish in general. Nice job on the feet.

I am just up the road from you in South Overland Park. Thanks for posting the pics. Cal