PDA

View Full Version : Why do I all of a sudden see ads?

Larry Fox
12-02-2008, 3:36 PM
I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask anyway. Mid-day I started seeing ads, my PM mailbox showed 100% full and I got demoted meaning that my status went from contributor to member. :(

I have every intention of contributing but, frankly, did't know that I was due. Is there some sort of notification mechanism (OTHER than annoying ads) that I can subscribe to in order to get a head's up that I am getting close to my contribution date?

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 3:45 PM
The script to expire old "contributor" titles apparently has been run...time to renew if you have not done so recently. If you have renewed your contribution using the automatic process, then you'll need to PM Jackie to investigate why your status was not updated.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Larry Fox
12-02-2008, 4:04 PM
Figured as much - thanks Jim.

Justin Leiwig
12-02-2008, 6:31 PM
I had the same problem and had to go back and check paypal to see when I donated. It was 11/16/07 last year, so I guess I was lucky in that I got a couple extra weeks ad free.

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 6:51 PM
Same thing happened to me.
I realized it when I tried to register for the "free stuff" I went and renewed and am now waiting for r' to kick in so I can get back to "C" status.

Doug Shepard
12-02-2008, 6:57 PM
Why do I all of a sudden see ads?

It's Christmas shopping season. Everybody is seeing ads:D

Brian Effinger
12-02-2008, 7:26 PM
I noticed the same thing about the PM's, and saw that the sub-forum under tech support was missing. That's when I discovered that I was now only a lowly member - three months early. It must be because of the system change-over I read about not to long ago. I'll have to go and contribute again.

Keith Outten
12-02-2008, 8:12 PM
I posted this message November 23rd in the Lumber Yard Forum and I have made several other posts concerning the system changes that were scheduled for this week. I wish we had a better way to make this change but it is impossible given the tools we have to work with.

Aaron will be setting up a system that will allow you to check your account status soon and the system will remind you next year when you have 30 days left so you won't have to expire. I apologize for the mass movement of people into the new accounting system.

Please read the Announcement at the top of any Forum concerning how to use the Automated PayPal System to upgrade your accounts.

Contributor Account Changes in December
Sometime around the first of December our System Administrator will be manually moving everyone into the new accounting system. The system will automatically expire your account and change your user title to Member. This will affect most of you based on your annual account date being in November, remember the last fund drive was done in November 2007.

A few of you may expire in error, please contact either Jackie Outten or myself and provide your transaction details if you feel your title was changed in error and we will make the corrections to your account manually.

I apologize for any problems we may have during the transition. Jackie has worked for weeks moving as many of you as she could into the new accounting system and updated your accounts as accurately as she could. This should be a one time transition, all account updates in the future via PayPal should be done with the automated system and time will be posted to your accounts here within minutes of your donations. All donations made via checks sent via snail mail will be entered into the new accounting system manually.

Thanks,
Keith

Andrew Nemeth
12-02-2008, 9:17 PM
Keith,

If our accounts just turned from contributor to member should we donate immediately or wait for the transition to the new software?

Thanks,

Andrew

Jackie Outten
12-02-2008, 9:22 PM
Andrew,

Let me know when you contributed and I will adjust your account accordingly.

Jackie

Brent Smith
12-02-2008, 9:30 PM
I don't remember when my last contribution was, but doesn't really matter. I'm just wondering, if I contribute today does my status change to 2009 contributer in January?

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 9:41 PM
Brent, in Keith's various messages, he mentions that your "year" associated with contributor status is now personal. It starts when you make your contribution and expires at that time a year later. There will no longer be a numeric year in the title...it will just read, "Contributor" if you have that status.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Rick Potter
12-03-2008, 2:20 AM
It just happened to me too. I had no idea when I contributed, and sorry, I rarely look at the lumber yard area.

I don't use pay pal, and will mail mine in.

Rick Potter

Keith Outten
12-03-2008, 5:19 AM
Our new accounting system was installed when we upgraded vBulletin last Spring. Now that we have eveyone in the new system Aaron will convert everyone to the Contributor Title once you have donated. The new software provides each person with their own account date and tracks your time based on your annual date. In the past everyone used November as their annual date because November was the month we did our annual fund drive.

The fund drive is gone, the new system is much better for everyone and will track your time based on the date you donated each year and we don't need to use the year in titles anymore.

Jay Jolliffe
12-03-2008, 5:59 AM
If you donate through the automated set up does the creek save your paypal info ?

Keith Outten
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Jay,

Our software links to payPal just for the transaction period, when the donation is made PayPal tells our vBulletin software to change your user title.

Aaron Koehl
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Jay,

For security purposes, the only information we keep is the date of your transaction-- no PayPal info. Helps us all sleep at night!

Mike Henderson
12-03-2008, 7:12 PM
Our new accounting system was installed when we upgraded vBulletin last Spring. Now that we have eveyone in the new system Aaron will convert everyone to the Contributor Title once you have donated. The new software provides each person with their own account date and tracks your time based on your annual date. In the past everyone used November as their annual date because November was the month we did our annual fund drive.

The fund drive is gone, the new system is much better for everyone and will track your time based on the date you donated each year and we don't need to use the year in titles anymore.
Just for clarification, will we get a notification a few weeks in advance as to when our year is expiring? I'll never remember my anniversary (I only remember my wedding anniversary - I'd get killed if I didn't).

Mike

Dewey Torres
12-03-2008, 7:18 PM
Just for clarification, will we get a notification a few weeks in advance as to when our year is expiring? I'll never remember my anniversary (I only remember my wedding anniversary - I'd get killed if I didn't).

Mike

Mike,
Click on your name and when your page comes up, click on User CP top left.

You should see a banner at the top with your days left on it.

Jackie Outten
12-03-2008, 9:39 PM
Brian,

I went back and checked your account and updated you accordingly. Your account is good until March 20, 2009

Brian Effinger
12-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Brian,

I went back and checked your account and updated you accordingly. Your account is good until March 20, 2009
Thanks Jackie :) I still think I may contribute early - like Dec. 31st or Jan. 1st, so it will be easy to remember because I don't look at my account info often. And more importantly because the creek is absolutely worth it.

Denny Rice
12-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Its worth 6.00 a year so I don't have to stare at unwanted and distracting ads.......

Keith Outten
12-04-2008, 5:41 AM

Mike

Mike,

Aaron will setup a Private Message notification that will give you 30 days notice. It may take some time to do this given his schedule these days but he has it on his list of things to do :)

Myk Rian
12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Its worth 6.00 a year so I don't have to stare at unwanted and distracting ads.......
What ads do you refer to? I don't see any.