PDA

View Full Version : Teak Box for my buddy, Lenzio

Mark Valsi
06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, I had misgivings starting this box. I got the teak wood for the carcass from a buddy and we decided that I would make a box for our mutual friend out of it.

The wood is teak, and i dind't have much hope as it looked like crap ! It took me about 7 months to work up the motivation to do something.

The wood wasn't fun to work with as it splintered easily, but i got lucky and this box didn't give me too many problems.

I resawed the board, and then cut to length and then cut out the arches in the bottom. I thought it needed some detail to counteract the crappy looking wood !

The corners are plain mitered with no splines. The joints weren't perfect, so after seeing a show on TV about making guitars, I copied the idea of running an edge band on the corners. uses some scrap maple. Covered up some rather sloppy looking miters.

Well, the big surprise was when I put on the first coat of danish oil.

WOW ! the wood really shined.

I didn't know what kind of top to make, so I used a pice of white oak and did a little bit of inlaying. I used Walnut Watco danish oil to darken the top up a bit to closer match the carcass.

OK, I told myself, let's get really brave and try to put on some spray on "Deft". I still wasn't happy with the box that much so I figured if I screwed it up with the spray on, it was in the trash anyway !

Lo and behold, it turned out not too shabby!

The inside is some ash and white oak for the dividers and the slide for the top. The little slide box is made from the same teak board.

All in all, I'm much happier with the result than when I started it.

When I showed it to my wife, she was quite pleased. Usually we don't agree, and the ones that I make that I like, she doesn't always find that nice. THis time, she likes it, and I don't that much.

OH WELL !

comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Tyler Howell
06-08-2004, 10:25 AM
He has a very good friend! Nice.

Travis Lanman
06-08-2004, 10:51 AM
That looks great. Keep up the good work.
Travis

Chris Padilla
06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Looks nice to me! I like the way the hinge works! :)

Chris DiCiaccio
06-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Mark, very nice, I like it! Good workmanship.

Jim Becker
06-08-2004, 4:24 PM
Wow! Despite the difficulty in working with that teak, the end result is outstanding.

John Olson
06-09-2004, 2:42 PM
Really nice looking box. Good thing I did not know Teak was hard to work with. My daughter had me make her a box for her stones out of teak. She loves it and so do I. Again great job on the box.

Jason Tuinstra
06-09-2004, 4:15 PM
Mark, it looks good to me. I like the corner detail a lot as well as the subtle curve of the bottom. What's not to like about this??? It looks like a winner to me. Thanks for showing it off.