PDA

View Full Version : Print Server Recommendation?

Jon Ruth
12-02-2008, 1:04 PM
Hello,

I have an Accuris EN-L-AL35S laser engraver that I want to connect to the LAN in my lab and use with WinXP boxes. The built-in ethernet port is useless since it only uses the old NetBEUI protocol.

I've successfully run a laser cutter and a sticker cutter on a 3-port Netgear print server (now discontinued). It woud handle anything thrown at it. Reviews of the current crop of "consumer" print servers (Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc.) are discouraging. Most are OK for legacy laser printers, but none seem to have the "chops" to handle a laser engraver.

SEH Technology print servers have impressive specs. Anyone used them?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Robert Ray
12-02-2008, 1:41 PM
I have used Hawking, 3 Com, Netgear, and D-Link over the years, but the ones that work well, and last the longest are the D-Link ones.

I use the D-Link DP-300U now, (2 parallel and 1 usb) but I have the DP-301P that I used to use and it still works great.

There were a couple others I tried that would not even work at all, and ended up either returned or in the junk box.

I only use parallel connections.

Randal Stevenson
12-02-2008, 2:02 PM
While so many of the newer laser printers I have looked at (eventually going to buy a color one), now have built in print servers, I have an old Netgear one (runs my Brother laser printer from my network). Could you either look for old stock (ebay, CL or such) or try something such as a low end pc (VIA based $199 at Walmart), to act as a print/file server?

Probably not the answer your looking for, but I don't have an answer and am interested in the responses (hopefully future use).

Jon Ruth
12-02-2008, 3:18 PM
[quote=Randal Stevenson;981451]While so many of the newer laser printers I have looked at (eventually going to buy a color one), now have built in print servers, I have an old Netgear one (runs my Brother laser printer from my network). Could you either look for old stock (ebay, CL or such) or try something such as a low end pc (VIA based $199 at Walmart), to act as a print/file server?

I like your suggestions. If this were my private laser engraver, I'd root around in the boneyard for an old Pentium box, install OpenBSD on it, and run it as a SAMBA print server. However, it's used by folks steeped in "monkey-see-monkey-do" methodology, so K.I.S.S. rules.

Jon

Dave Johnson29
12-02-2008, 3:21 PM
The built-in ethernet port is useless since it only uses the old NetBEUI protocol.

Hi Jon,

Not sure I understand correctly, but if I do, what's wrong with using NetBEUI? You can add that protocol to an XP machine (right-click Network, Properties, Add or Install) , Protocol) and they will talk as fast as the hardware can handle.

Jon Ruth
12-02-2008, 3:54 PM
Hi Jon,

Not sure I understand correctly, but if I do, what's wrong with using NetBEUI? You can add that protocol to an XP machine (right-click Network, Properties, Add or Install) , Protocol) and they will talk as fast as the hardware can handle.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not support NetBEUI in WinXP, and it is not normally installed. While it's lurking somewhere on the installation CD, it's an old protocol intended for LANs of only 5 to 10 PCs. I know only two folks who remember NetBEUI, and neither of them is involved in my lab. Again, K.I.S.S. rules.

Jon

Scott Erwin
12-07-2008, 6:45 PM
Jon,
I have a SEH IC105-Fastpocket-TX Print server. I had the same issues when I set up my laser. And as you describe and the NB protocal was crap to put it nicely for this setup. I pluged this print server on the back of the laser, programmed it to fit my network and away we go....

So far no issues that I have noticed. I have seen a couple of dropouts once in awhile but I dont think it is the print server, as if I resend the file, it seems to drop out in the same location. So something in the laser or program that is doing it. Usually not noticable to anyone but me but I am kinda picky when I put something together.

Just my 2¢ worth

Bob Cole
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I use a Dp301 (parallel to Ethernet) that works great for my ULS.

Jerry Allen
12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Like Dave said, except that you have to move this file off the installation CD:

Install the NETBEUI protocol:
- Locate the Valueadd/msft/net/netbeui directory on your Windows XP CD.Copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%SYSTEM32DRIVERS directory.
- Copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%INF directory.
- In Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections and then click Network Connections.
- Right-click the connection you want to configure, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click the INSTALL button to add the NetBEUI protocol.

Some more info:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041

This will not affect TCP/IP and will be transparent to you. Just needs to be available. I have an older drafting program that requires IPX/SPX NETBIOS to work. Similar situation, except that protocol is available without the installation CD.

Jon Ruth
12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Like Dave said, except that you have to move this file off the installation CD:

Install the NETBEUI protocol:

[snip]

Jerry,

Thanks for the NetBEUI info. I'm still going to skip it. Folks bring their laptops (not under my control) to the lab so they can use their own CAD programs. A hardware solution avoids messing with another IT group's network settings. (Been there. Done that. It took a call back to Israel for the poor guy to regain access to his laptop.)

Jon Ruth
12-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I use a Dp301 (parallel to Ethernet) that works great for my ULS.

Thanks Bob.

That's two votes for D-Link's DP-301P+ (the current incarnation). At half the price of an SEH unit, I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks to everyone who's chipped in on this thread.