PDA

View Full Version : Dream Machine

Mike Golka
12-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Okay, if you could have have a new lathe what would it be? Jet. Oneway, Mustard Etc.?

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Well Mike, as long as I am dreaming.... it would have to be the Robust 25" American Beauty! Can't imagine anything better!

http://www.turnrobust.com/

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Ditto what Steve said. Robust American Beauty.

Dave Stoler
12-02-2008, 3:57 AM
Oneway 2436...I like..

Andrew Derhammer
12-02-2008, 6:56 AM
John Nichols Custom

robert hainstock
12-02-2008, 7:56 AM
From Woodworkers supply.:D
Bob

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 8:38 AM
I already have my "dream" machine...a Stubby.

Jeff Nicol
12-02-2008, 9:15 AM
I echo Jims dream machine, I looked at the Stubby before buying the PM3520B. The price was what put it out of the running for me. But someday when the planets alighn and the moon is right, just maybe if I think good thoughts....... I to can own a STUBBY LATHE!

A little dramatic but having fun and making people laugh is a good thing!

If we had it all there would be nothing to dream about.

Have a great day SMC fans!

Jeff

Scott Lux
12-02-2008, 9:16 AM
It's sad the lack of imagination in the world today. You folks don't know how to dream. Everyone has chosen a real machine.

My dream lathe requires no power input other than giving it a spin by hand. It then runs at the speed I need, not the speed I think I need. It has enough torque to turn a 4 foot stump (roots and all) and it never wobbles if the stump is off center by 3 feet.
It senses catches before they happen and moves the wood out of the way of the tool. It converts shavings to electricity to power my home, and finally, it does all the sanding for me.

Now that's a dream machine.

Jim Underwood
12-02-2008, 9:44 AM
I have been thinking about a Vicmarc from Woodworkers Emporium (not modified to Am. specs) ever since Stu Batty came to town this fall. I had been dreaming of getting a Robust, but they are solid steel and supposedly transmit more vibration. As a guy who spent a lot of time on an aluminum bicycle, I know just how it feels for vibration to transmit to one's body. So Cast Iron gets my vote. Hadn't decided on the model yet... It's more expensive than the Jet 1642 or PM 3520, but less money than the Robust.

I may have to settle for the Nova since it's affordable. And even that might not be within reach the way the economy is headed.

Mike Spanbauer
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
If I could pick any AND wouldn't have to concern myself with moving it around or placing it in the shop... I would stongly consider a Serious lathe or a Robust (not so worried about moving the sub 1000 lb)

mike

Duff Bement
12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
My dream machine is an old craftsman tube lathe with an under powered motor and a bad belt. Oh I am sorry you said dream not nightmare. My actual dream is anything with plenty of power and a VARIABLE SPEED motor.

Jim Kountz
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Well I would have said a Oneway until I saw the other replies to this and checked out the Robust lathes. In a word WOW! That sweet 16 model is just too cool. The way you can remove the gap bed and make the distance between centers longer or move it over for another tool rest location. I immediately thought of a 2 post curved tool rest, one post in each location wrapping totally around a bowl blank. Wouldnt that be the berries! Nice machines though pricey like anything else I guess. You gotta pay to play!

Richard Madison
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
It needs a spindle lock lever that would lock the spindle in any position, not just at specific points, and keep it locked hands off. Said spindle lock would be interlocked with the start switch. A little larger swing would be good, but other than that my 1642 is ok as is.

Philip Morris
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
OK, I'm going to get way out of the box.

I have my dream machine. Jet 1220VS. I recently sold my Oneway. Great machine and unlimited capability.

I am tending toward smaller turnings. The 1220 does not break the bank, nor does it require a dream shop to house it. I don't feel any pressure to justify it. I can just enjoy it.

Mike Lipke
12-02-2008, 1:24 PM
Richard,
On your 1642, you can satisfy one of your issues by removing the guard from the spindle lock, drilling a hole through each side, and replacing it.
When you want to lock the spindle hands free, push in the lock button, slide a 10d nail through the holes, and your spindle is locked, hands free.

One out of three isn't too bad, especially for free.

Jack Mincey
12-02-2008, 2:06 PM
The one thing that would make any lathe better is an auto sander feature.:D:D.
Jack

Frank Kobilsek
12-02-2008, 2:36 PM
I'd put about 1/2 HP more on my 3520 (just cause I'm dreaming) and stainless steel ways. Then I'd add a system that levitated the tailstock on and off. My 18" bed extention would move from the upper to lower position with the flick of a switch. Mounted between the legs, below the bed would be a system that collected dust and shaving then pressed them together into little fireplace logs. A perfectly balanced slow speed grinder might be mounted inside the headstock, maybe where the door opens to change belts, so I didn't have to take that half step over to the grinder. Let's work in some kind of infinate capacity tool storage in the the lathe too. Don't forget easily accesible storage for at least two chuck, several face plates, spindle attachments, etc. A dust proof coffee cup holder that keeps it hot too (the included cup needs to warn me when I am about to take a sip of coffee without raising my face shield). Twice as heavy to kill the tiny vibrations I get from time to time. All this needs to fit in the same foot print and be super portable; it needs to just jump in the back of my truck and tie itself down so I can take it to club meetings and demos.
Frank

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2008, 2:49 PM
Here's what would be close to my "Dream Machine Lathe", it has a few more options than my big lathe has now, like variable speed and a outboard tailstock, it would be nice to have that :D :D

Richard Madison
12-02-2008, 3:20 PM
Mike,
That is really not an improvement, as the standard spindle lock only locks in one or two places. I use the index pin fairly often, but it is not quite the answer.

Bill Bolen
12-02-2008, 3:57 PM
Lottery winner=Robust sweet 16....Bill...

Gary Max
12-02-2008, 6:37 PM
Already own mine----heck can't take it with you.-----:D-----
Powermatic 4224-----bed streched to 8 foot 6 inches
custom built steady rest------ a hollowing system built by a machinest ( one of a kind)---complete Vac system----Titan Chuck with 5 inch jaws
Custom built Cherry picker to move the big blanks.
And to top it off-----a pile of wood that I will never be able to use up.

David Drickhamer
12-02-2008, 8:23 PM
I have a Jet 1442 and love it but that Robust sure is a nice look'n machine.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-02-2008, 9:01 PM
:D I've logged on roughly somewhere around 70 + hrs on a friends Robust 25" american Beauty this year.
I've turned DEEP HOLLOW VESSELS from logs up to 24" dia. & weighing from 80lbs. up to 454 lbs. with it.
Always runs smooth & vibration free even with these Large out of balance pieces.
I'd get one if I won the lottery!!!
That said I think I would request a 5 hp motor 0n it.
I've turned a few pieces where it seamed a bit under powered.

John Nowack
12-02-2008, 9:02 PM
if it has a 12x16 workshop attached I don't care what it is:)

Gary Kvasnicka
12-02-2008, 9:12 PM
Robust American Beauty, since this a dream I also want a bowl gouge that never needs sharpening.

Gary Herrmann
12-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I think my dream lathe will always evolve as I learn more. At this point, I'd just like more shop time.

Reed Gray
12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Some times I think that I will have to design and build my next lathe if I ever wear out my Beauty. It seems that way with every machine I get, I think of things that would make it better, and as always what works for me may not work for some one else. I would want more torque, probably with more horse power, more cast iron to dampen the harmonic vibration which is minimal but still sounds a lot different than my PM did, hydraulic lifters to raise and lower the lathe depending on what I am doing on it, and probably some other things.
robo hippy

Horst Hohoff
12-03-2008, 12:52 AM
My dream: VB 36

Nathan Hawkes
12-03-2008, 1:12 AM
Well, if money were no object I'd be very happy with any one of several large machines; A big Stubby would be pretty great with its retractable bed, but a 1500lb Serious Lathe would fulfill all my turning dreams. A VB36 with all the bells and whistles of a bed & tailstock would be just as nice.....

One day, one day..........................

Tim Dorcas
12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I have to say that I had never heard of a Robust Lathe. The design and the engineering looks great!

Phillip Bogle
12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I was looking at the other lathes mentioned in this thread. I found an Oregon manufacturer -- Serious Tools -- http://www.seriouslathe.com/ and took a closer look. Is there any reason you would prefer any of the brands mentioned over a Serious? I am still in the choosing stage, with concrete floors, and 3 phase power if needed. The Serious is not 3 phase, but it is SOLID!

Any thoughts?

Phil

Judy Kingery
12-03-2008, 1:07 PM
Thankful to have my dream machine, VB 36. Love it!

Jude

Tom Godley
12-03-2008, 1:44 PM
That Serious lathe has serious weight !! I would think that putting the motor lower would indeed aid in stability.

The one thing I wanted was the ability to move the head.

I took a class where they had lathes with movable heads and the ability to move the head made a difference in how you could work with different size wood. Also the ability to move the head so you could work off the end or even go full outboard became important for me - I could see the benefit and the safety of the design. I also found that the normal setup placed the lathe head a bit taller than I liked -- so the ability to adjust the height became an issue for me also.

I ended up with a Robust 25 -- it is more lathe that I need at this point -- but one fine unit. The Robust uses Stainless Steel in the ways -- very smooth and no rust :) Height adjustable - and a wonderful outboard turning attachment coupled with a tail-stock that moves out of the way.

Reed Gray
12-03-2008, 1:46 PM
One reason I didn't consider the Serious and Oneway lathes, and that is the lack of the sliding headstock. My lathe sits in a corner, so outboard turning isn't an option. The sliding headstock is a must for me and my back. VB 36 looks very nice, but no matter the configuration, it says 'Bowl Lathe' to me, and I do turn other things.
robo hippy

Brodie Brickey
12-03-2008, 1:52 PM
I have a PM3520A now. What I'd really like is a 25x25 shop, but if we're talking only lathes, the Robust would be the lathe to get. The reason not to choose the Serious Lathe, has more to do with my not knowing how long they will be around, than anything else.

I have seen the Robust & Serious lathes up close. I really like some of the enhancements that the Robust has:

Tailstock swing.
toolrest
adjustable height legs.

Steve Kubien
12-03-2008, 2:04 PM
Well, since we're dreaming......

Oneway 2436 with the outboard platform and all the bells and whistles (and a shop big enough to house it). They've been around a long time and that ought to count for a lot (at least in my book). However, in my current shop, probably a Stubby for its footprint, capacity, quality etc etc.

Steve Kubien

Jim Becker
12-03-2008, 3:23 PM
Reed, the Stubby 750 handles up to 30" inboard and can do spindles for furniture just fine as long as they don't exceed about 30". (With the shorter Jordan sized ways) It's definitely an alternative to the VB in that you can have that flexibility without a lot of add-ons. I needed the small footprint, too, so that also pointed to Stubby.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-03-2008, 7:00 PM
Oneway rip-off maybe ???

Chris Barnett
12-03-2008, 7:29 PM
Strange no one mentioned the 3520B which previously everyone was ga-ga over, and which is why I selected it :(. The way the bearings are screaming, think my pick would be the Oneway.....and have been thinking about it for a while. Nuts, its only a dream....one of each for 10-year trial. Seems we have been had by the PM folks.

Michael Arruda
12-03-2008, 7:47 PM
Hmm... probably a Yates American J-line for me. I think the model I'm thinking of is the J-170... beautiful machine.

-Michael

Reed Gray
12-03-2008, 7:52 PM
Jim,
One other reason for not looking seriously at the Stubby is that none of the bowl coring systems will fit on it. This is according to a friend who has one.
robo hippy

Mike Lipke
12-03-2008, 8:21 PM
Chris,
The bearings on your PowerMatic can't be more than $10 or so apiece at any local bearing supplier. They are not that hard to tap out. Less than an hour. If you were to change the belt, you would be half way there. Remove the two bearings and take them to a bearing supplier, and they will measure them and hand you 2 new ones. They will likely even have good better and best in stock.

Better than new when done.

Curt Fuller
12-03-2008, 8:42 PM
I guess it doesn't hurt to dream big, but I remember when the 55 year old Oliver I turn on now was my dream machine. And it still is a heck of a nice lathe. Too bad they don't make them like they used to. But over the years of my turning evolution I've found that it isn't the lathe that makes the beautiful work I see so much as the turning skills, the artistic touch, and some nice wood is also essential. So for my dream I'm going to go with a combination of the talent and eye for form that some of my woodturning idols possess along with the patience to sand and re-sand until the finish is perfect, and throw in a never ending supply of burl and figured wood of every kind. If I can get that, I'll make do with the old Oliver.

Dream on!

Reed Gray
12-03-2008, 9:50 PM
When I had to replace the bearings on my PM3520A, I got the bearings and a belt, and got it to a tool repair place, and had all that done for less than I could get the parts for from PM. I could never have done it myself, the bearings and spindle were rusted in place. I turn a lot of wet wood.
robo hippy

Scott Conners
12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
I thought I had seen nice lathes in the Serious and it's kin, but now I think I'm in love with the VB 36. That is definitely a dream machine to aspire to! Everything about it's design seems so smart and well planned. The only times I'd want different would be for long spindles, like architectural work and bed posts.

alex carey
12-04-2008, 1:14 AM
Right now I have a General International 12" lathe. The headstock spins so I can do some bigger stuff.

In my dream I am using GODS lathe. It weighs 5000 pounds can turn up to 40 inches over the bed and to top it off it is powered by the sun.

Alex

john taliaferro
12-04-2008, 9:37 AM
mine is homemade but looks like the stubby. i like being able to change the ways and other parts

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 9:43 AM
Jim,
One other reason for not looking seriously at the Stubby is that none of the bowl coring systems will fit on it. This is according to a friend who has one.
robo hippy

Doesn't make sense to me. A coring system that will fit a 16" swing machine should work just fine, including for larger than 16" pieces using the short auxiliary bed off the headstock and second tool rest base that comes with the machine to accommodate the front support of the coring system. But I'm speaking speculatively as I don't own a coring system for my Stubby. I did have to make an adaptation for my hollowing system to work with the short bed, but that was quick and easy...commercial versions for short beds are also now available.

Matt Hutchinson
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Ok, here's my votes. For a bowl lathe, hands down I'd get the VB-36. For spindle turning, I'd get an old Oliver pattern maker's lathe and remachine the headstock, like Brian Weick did. Although, a monster lathe might be kinda cool.

http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=585

Hutch

Mike Spanbauer
12-06-2008, 12:05 AM
The finest pattern makers lathe I've ever seen pictures of (restored) is Roger Craigs Oliver No 66...

http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=46635&highlight=oliver+lathe

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/8161-A.jpg

Jim, (or other mods) please delete if you feel this adds no value. But, I just had to throw this photo in as it quite literally floored me. I had to marvel at it for a good 15 minutes looking at the attention to detail and sheer mass. Oh, this isn't a metal lathe as you might first suspect when you look at it... it is a MONSTER wood lathe that was used to create repeatable patterns. Not to mention it has something like a 42" swing... AND the hp and mass to spin a 1000 lb blank... if you could even get the silly thing onto the lathe.

A marvel of American engineering... I'm not aware of ANY lathes that are manually operated built anywhere in this class today.

mike

Jim Becker
12-06-2008, 2:55 PM
That's an awesome looking lathe, Mike. It could very well be a "dream machine" for many folks!

Mike Spanbauer
12-06-2008, 3:40 PM
Yeah, I've NEVER seen something so beautiful. Granted, moving that puppy very likely takes a forklift or multiple pallet jacks as I have to guess it weighs upwards of 5000 or more lbs.

Thanks for inserting the pic! I should have thought of that.

mike