PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 in. blade for Grizzly G0555

Paul Ryan
12-01-2008, 7:47 PM
I recently purchased a G0555 with the MS Cash back discount(which I haven't received yet). To my pleasant suprise grizzly e-mailed me a day latter with the tracking number to the free timberwolf blade they were sending. I guess there was a promotion for a few blade with the purchase of a G0555. I haven't found any evidence of this promotion but I was happy with the free blade.

Well the blade arrived today. It is a 3/4" blade. I haven't done much resawing ever, but is that the size blade most of you use for resawing with a 14" saw. The band saw I am replacing is a small craftsman 10", that is the reason I haven't done much resawing.

Russ Massery
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
3/4" blade would be fine for resawing. Also in my opinion pretty much the limit of a 14" bandsaw. I've had very good results with Timberwolf Blades. I've had a 1/2" on my G0513 for over a year.

Russ Sears
12-02-2008, 9:22 AM
I made the same purchase as you in the same way. However, I bought the riser block and picked everything up in Muncy, PA. Since I bought the riser block the free 93" blade didn't mean anything to me. Oddly, they wouldn't let me pay the difference for a 105" blade and, since they didn't have the 93" blade in stock, were going to mail the 93"'er to me. That, I believe, would've cost more than letting me pay the $1 additional for the 105" blade.
However, three weeks down the road I haven't received the 93" blade.
That's not really a complaint since I can't use it anyway. It just seemed like a strange thing for them to do.

The saw is great and I'm having a blast learning how to use it.

Paul Ryan
12-02-2008, 3:18 PM
I dont plan on buying the riser block anytime soon since I have just a 6" jointer.

What I am wonder is should I even bother putting the 3/4 blade on the saw and just purchase a 1/2 for resawing? Would I get better results from a 1/2" blade?
What is a 3/4" blade on a 14" band saw usually used for?

Marcus Ward
12-02-2008, 3:43 PM
What is a 3/4" blade on a 14" band saw usually used for?

Wrecking the bearings? Seems like a lot of blade for a small saw. Cranking that thick back around those smaller wheels would seem to lead to blade failure sooner as well. Call Louis Iturra up (google his number, he has no website - Iturra Designs) and order a 1/2" BladeRunner from him cheaper than you can from highland hardware. Same thing as a woodslicer, literally, he just can't call it that because the name is trademarked. That'll resaw like mad and give you nice smooth cuts that don't require a drum sander to finish.

Chris Padilla
12-02-2008, 4:48 PM
Marcus,

Do you have any specs on the Woodslicer/Bladerunner--bimetal? What is the tpi and kerf, for example? You are intriguing me to give Iturra a call to pick one up.

Prashun Patel
12-02-2008, 4:58 PM
I recently purchased a G0555 with the MS Cash back discount(which I haven't received yet). To my pleasant suprise grizzly e-mailed me a day latter with the tracking number to the free timberwolf blade they were sending. I guess there was a promotion for a few blade with the purchase of a G0555. I haven't found any evidence of this promotion but I was happy with the free blade.

Well the blade arrived today. It is a 3/4" blade. I haven't done much resawing ever, but is that the size blade most of you use for resawing with a 14" saw. The band saw I am replacing is a small craftsman 10", that is the reason I haven't done much resawing.

Congratulations. That's a good deal. Wish I'da bought a few months later....

Marcus Ward
12-02-2008, 5:06 PM
I'm just going off memory here - Mine is a 3/4" 2/3 or 3/4 varitooth hook. The band is .022 thick so it doesn't subject the saw to as much tension. It's not got a heavy set so the kerf is narrow, narrower kerf = faster cutting and less waste. It's not meant for green wood at all since the narrow kerf won't clear the wet sawdust properly, keep that in mind. I use my blade for every straight cut I make, resaw, rip, and crosscut. I have a smaller bandsaw for curves. It's hella sharp and makes very clean cuts. If you go to highland hardware and read about the woodslicer, it's literally the same blade. Louis buys the blade stock from whoever highland gets it from. I bought mine 131.5" long for 27.40 and 9$ shipping. I think that works out to 2.50 a foot plus shipping. Have Louis throw in a catalog with your order. It's like the bandsaw bible.

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 9:54 PM
The 3/4" Timberwolf sent to you should work fine on that saw, although I agree that 1/2" in the long run will be a better "regular" choice. The TW can run with lower tension, so there shouldn't be any issues. I used essentially the same blade on the 14" Jet saw I used to own with no problems.

John Thompson
12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree with Marcus that 3/4" is too much blade for a 14" BS. And Jim is correct that the Timberwolf is a low tension blade and you can probably get away with it. But... I don't personally care for low tension blades and would opt for a 1/2" on a 14" BS. I used the Woodslicer on mine for many years and it is excellent but what Marcus stated about Louis's blade is correct from scuttle.

Simply put I prefer high tension blades but won't run the maximum width that a manufacturer says it will take regardless as I feel it does over-tax the bearing. I run a 3/4" on my 18" BS which can take 1 1/4". 1/2" on a 14" will can take 3/4" even thought the smaller saw now keeps a 1/4" 6 tpi for curves.. plastics.. etc.

I'm not sure there is a correct answer.... just what works for you based on experiences of what you have tried and what does and what doesn't.

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I've run nothing larger than a 1" blade on my 20" BS but am having nice results from a 1/2" bimetal resawing 9-11" walnut.

I'm starting to learn that width isn't everything in a bandsaw blade....

Paul Ryan
12-03-2008, 7:31 PM
I think you guys have answered what I thought my self. That even though specs say this saw can handle a 3/4" blade, it is generally felt that is too much. I wish grizzly would have let me choose the blade because I would not have picked a 3/4".

Do you think grizzly would exchange it?