PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen upgrade: first wall panneling project / Coffee maker relocation

Alexander Janoszek
12-01-2008, 7:39 PM
Hi guys!

Since I watched the episode of the NYW where Norm Abram showed how to apply wall panneling systems I had the vision to make something similar by my own in our kitchen. My wife and I decided to go for double bead boards cause these are matching wonderful to our kitchen furniture.

Well, since I'm from Europe, the problems are starting with finding the right materials. We don't have ready to use toung and groove beadboards available, no one even knows that stuff here, so I had to build them from the scratch, starting with spruce toung and groove stock. I purchased a beading bit for my router at American Eagle, cutted over 100 boards and ran them twice thru the router.

The bead boards are nailed to 1/2" plywood which I screwed directly on the drywall. After that, I mounted 6" baseboards, primed and painted everything.

The baseboard moulding and the crown moulding are custom made with my router. I made them, as well as the boards on top of the panels out of beech. Since I don't have a planer right now, I had to go for glued wood cause buying planed beech (or similar) stock would have been to cost extensive. I stained the mouldings to get a nice brown tone and painted everything with clear coat.

One of the essential things in this project was to get a new place for our coffe maker. It's a professional La Cimbali machine from Italy and that one needs a fixed water connection and a sewer junction. I had to prepare all these connections before. The counter top on the (coffee maker) cabinet is made in IKEA and I applied a roman ogee detail on the edges. Think that's nice dress up.

This week I'm gonna install the missing conter top on the smaller divider wall, then I think I'm done. Over all, I've spent about 2 weeks for nearly completing this project, including the tile work and the wall panneling, but hey, I think It was worth it.

Next thing to do will be to build new door casings, cause the ones installed right now are looking really poor. :)

I'm really curious what you skilled woodworking guys think!

Enjoy the before and after pics!

Cheers,
alex

Alexander Janoszek
12-01-2008, 7:41 PM
a few more pics....

Alexander Janoszek
12-01-2008, 7:44 PM
and a last set.....

John Thompson
12-01-2008, 7:57 PM
Very well done.. nice.. crisp and clean lines on those cabinets. You did well with the tools you had...

Sarge..

Neal Clayton
12-02-2008, 3:00 AM
i'm surprised that you can't find T&G beadboard over there, i thought that was a trend that we in the states lifted from european cottage styles of a hundred years ago or so.

Alexander Janoszek
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I think you're right, but I'd rather say from British cottage style. Maybe Dutch. Here in Austria where I'm from this is totally uncommon. I've no idea why...