PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades - Iturra Design

John Dykes
12-01-2008, 3:39 PM
I typically hang out in the hand tools section, but I've decided to trade in my tablesaw for a bandsaw - thought I'd better stop in here.

Anyhow, a G0513x2 ($750 shipped) should be coming to me very soon. I've never even touched a bandsaw, so I've been reading every related post I could find. I just got off the phone with Louis Iturra (Iturra Design, 1-888-722-7078), and I have to tell you - he's earned my business from this day forward.

After so much research, I had talked myself into a selection of carbide, and bi-metal blades. He talked me out of it... Said, "As a newbie - start with a selection of carbon steel. Sure, they go dull a little quicker, but newbies might do something stupid to break a blade. And not only that, you'll really know better what type of blade to get next time after experimenting with these."

I don't know when a sales guy has ever talked me out of a $250 sale down to a $50 sale...

Highly recommended...

- jbd in Denver
(Don't tell the galoots I'm up here!)

Andrew Joiner
12-01-2008, 4:08 PM
Ditto on all you said about Louis. The guy knows bandsaws and has a good price on woodslicer (equivalent) blades. His free catalog is a great read, lots of bandsaw info.

Phil Phelps
12-01-2008, 4:56 PM
John, I've been on a band saw since '65. It's the life blood of my business. I don't use carbide blades, ever. For my work, which is usually plastic, wood, and some aluminum, I use a 1/4", 6 tooth hook. You'll need to play with it and see what works best for you depending on what you are cutting. One blade won't work for everything.

Dave Sweeney
12-01-2008, 5:31 PM
I had pretty much the same experience with Louis as you did. He's a great guy who goes out of his way to share his knowledge. He has gotten all of my business so far and will continue to get it in the future.

Chris Schumann
12-01-2008, 5:41 PM
Rockler had Mark Duginske's Mastering Your Bandsaw DVD for $10 this past weekend. I got it and it's worth the regular price of $20 with all the great information in it. (Turns out Mark is from my home town!)

You can buy it on Amazon for less (Amazon says it's discontinued, so you can't buy from them and help out SMC), or from iamplify for $15 for immediate download to view on your computer.

Chris Padilla
12-01-2008, 7:42 PM
Newbies and bent expensive carbide blades, eh? More money than brains, eh? ;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94249

:D

That said, I'm doing lottsa resawing with a 1/2" bimetal 6 tpi hook-style blade called a Diemaster2 from Lenox. I've gotten terrific results slicing up 9-11" wide black walnut and I've also gotten lousy results. It just takes practice to get the feel and to get the setup just right.

Jack Briggs
12-02-2008, 8:10 AM
Setup is everything and no, one blade will not do everything. That said, I got a carbide tipped 1/2" blade last year for much of my resawing and veneer slicing and I wouldn't go back for anything. The cut is smoother and the kerf is almost as little as the Woodsaver blades I used to use but last about a month or two.

YMMV.

Mike OMelia
12-02-2008, 8:28 AM
Would someone post or pm to me Iturra's phone number? I lost it.

Mike

Anthony Whitesell
12-02-2008, 8:30 AM
Mike,

Iturra Design, 1-888-722-7078

(see OP post)

Matthew Voss
12-02-2008, 9:37 AM
I'm doing lottsa resawing with a 1/2" bimetal 6 tpi hook-style blade called a Diemaster2 from Lenox...

+1 for this blade. Thanks for putting that out there Chris.

Chris Padilla
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Setup is everything and no, one blade will not do everything. That said, I got a carbide tipped 1/2" blade last year for much of my resawing and veneer slicing and I wouldn't go back for anything. The cut is smoother and the kerf is almost as little as the Woodsaver blades I used to use but last about a month or two.

YMMV.

Hi Jack,

Can you provide more details about your 1/2" carbide blade? What is the kerf, who makes it, tpi, etc.? I'm always on the search for the ultimate resawing blade.

So far, I have a Lenox Trimaster (1" wide, 0.063" kerf, 2/3 var pitch, carbide) that leaves a nice surface (drum sander ready) but has a large kerf.

I tried a Lenox Woodmaster CT (1" wide, 0.051" kerf, 1.3 tpi, carbide) that leaves a rather rough surface such that its smaller kerf doesn't really buy one much since you have to slice a wider veneer to sand back smooth.

I also have a Lenox Diemaster2 (1/2" wide, ~0.035" kerf, 6 tpi, hook style, bimetal) that leaves a surface comparable to the Trimaster (I was shocked) and I really like the kerf. I believe this blade is probably close to what David Marks likes to use.

Chris Padilla
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
+1 for this blade. Thanks for putting that out there Chris.

Cool! You tried this blade out? I was VERY surprised at the surface left in my walnut after trying this blade out.

So far, I have cut 8 veneers from a walnut plank about 5' long and 10" wide and the blade is still cutting well.

I'll be attacking another another walnut plank about 6' long and 10" wide very soon.

Matthew Voss
12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Cool! You tried this blade out? I was VERY surprised at the surface left in my walnut after trying this blade out.

So far, I have cut 8 veneers from a walnut plank about 5' long and 10" wide and the blade is still cutting well.

I'll be attacking another another walnut plank about 6' long and 10" wide very soon.

Yes - I've heard you mention it here a few times now so I ordered one from TOOLcenter. I would recommend this blade as well. I just got it last week but I am very pleased so far.

Marcus Ward
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
When you get your saw, set it up for whatever blade you'll use first without the table on. It helps a lot seeing how the bearings adjust and where the set screws are when the table is off. Also, I'd recommend making sure the trunion is square to the upper blade guides, mine was (is, I'm lazy) off a tiny tiny amount, maybe .002, but I can tell by which bearings the blade engages during cutting. Good to see another person going bandsaw/handtools. Krenov would approve. If you get stuck setting it up shoot me a pm and I'll give you my phone number, call me if you get real stuck. (no idea why you would though, it's pretty straightforward.)

I'm using a bladerunner (woodslicer) from Iturra. The blade is AWESOME. Produces, for the most part, a sander-ready finish on resaw. I can cut 1mm veneers easily with it and I'm talking between the blade and fence, not waste cut.

Mike OMelia
12-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Mike,

Iturra Design, 1-888-722-7078

(see OP post)

:o Thats what I get for scanning and posting. Thank you!

Mike

Jack Briggs
12-03-2008, 7:58 AM
Hi Jack,

Can you provide more details about your 1/2" carbide blade? What is the kerf, who makes it, tpi, etc.? I'm always on the search for the ultimate resawing blade.

So far, I have a Lenox Trimaster (1" wide, 0.063" kerf, 2/3 var pitch, carbide) that leaves a nice surface (drum sander ready) but has a large kerf.

I tried a Lenox Woodmaster CT (1" wide, 0.051" kerf, 1.3 tpi, carbide) that leaves a rather rough surface such that its smaller kerf doesn't really buy one much since you have to slice a wider veneer to sand back smooth.

I also have a Lenox Diemaster2 (1/2" wide, ~0.035" kerf, 6 tpi, hook style, bimetal) that leaves a surface comparable to the Trimaster (I was shocked) and I really like the kerf. I believe this blade is probably close to what David Marks likes to use.

Chris,

I wish I could! I posted on this forum several months ago with pics of the blade asking if anyone could identify it. No one came forward, except to ask me how much they could get one for!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=836504&postcount=7

Here's the lowdown: I responded to an eBay listing last year for a 93" carbide-tipped blade, asking the seller if they had any in 113" or could tell me what brand it was that they were selling. He came back saying that the place he got his from was a small hardware store in Ohio that didn't want their identity revealed(?!) and didn't even do mail order sales. But, he offered to have one made for me in the size I needed for very reasonable cost. I bit, and took delivery of my first blade. A few months later, I sent Mr. 3rd party another email asking if he could get 2 more blades made for me (gotta have backups, ya know?), which he did for me. Still, I have no idea where he got them made or who makes the stock that these are from.

What I can say is that they have solved my needs for resawing by having the narrow kerf and 1/2" width. I have a 3/4" blade, but on a modified Delta-style 14" saw, it's really too wide. 1/2" is perfect.

Mike OMelia
12-03-2008, 8:52 AM
That fellow is (wisely) protecting his source.

Mike

Chris Padilla
12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I just called Iturra and ordered me up a blue bible and a 14' Bladerunner (3/4" wide). Cost for the blade was $35 plus whatever shipping. Ah, more blades to try out! :D