PDA

View Full Version : And yet another bowl

Jim Kountz
12-01-2008, 3:16 PM
The pics of this one didnt work out as good as I had hoped. More adjustments, more practice!
The bowl is a segmented piece of course, walnut, mahagony, oak and cherry. If I can make a better picture I will post it later!

Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2008, 3:19 PM
That is a beauty Jim. I like the form and the woods look good in contrast. Well done.

Don Carter
12-01-2008, 5:42 PM
Jim:
That is a beauty! Your work is very good. Keep 'em coming!

All the best.

Don

Richard Madison
12-01-2008, 6:50 PM
Nice bowl. The picture isn't bad, just needs more depth of field. Use smaller lense opening (larger f-stop number). The longer exposure time will probably require a tripod and use of camera's self timer to avoid shake.

Skip Spaulding
12-01-2008, 8:34 PM
I really like the colors and the shape looks great to me. Nice Bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Really nice bowl Jim! Beautiful rich colors and great form. Really like the rolled rim! Richard gave you some good advice about depth of field! Who knew that when we took up turning we would have to get into photography as well! Always something...

Jim Kountz
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Nice bowl. The picture isn't bad, just needs more depth of field. Use smaller lense opening (larger f-stop number). The longer exposure time will probably require a tripod and use of camera's self timer to avoid shake.

Thanks Richard, I have been using a tripod and the timer feature on my camera which really helps, Im shaky enough all by myself! I have been taking a good many test shots to try and understand better all the aperture and speed settings and the differences they make. Its alot of fun actually. Just so Im clear when you say depth you are of course referring to the aperture setting correct? I know that a larger number means a smaller opening but I just want to make sure thats what you were talking about. I had my zoom lens set at about 75 or 80, 85 being the max on this particular lens. (Canon IS Lens 18-85) on a Rebel XT.

Jon Lanier
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice looking bowl. I like what you "segmenters' do with your turnings.

Richard Madison
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Jim,
You are correct sir, I think. As you know, "depth of field" simply means how much of the picture, foreground to background, is in focus. A smaller aperature (size of lense opening, higher f number) gives a greater depth of field, but requires a longer exposure time. Another way to increase depth of field is to move the camera farther away from the subject and "zoom" the lens in.

Oops, I see that you were already zoomed to max. Even so, you could still move back a bit and crop the picture a little more without loss of quality.

Was somewhat of a photographer many, repeat many, years before getting into turning. Have forgotten most of what I knew about the former, and still have very much to learn about the latter. But practice makes "better", and it looks like your practice is paying off.

Mike Golka
12-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Good looking bowl, nice work