PDA

View Full Version : Plane pedigree

Paul Atkins
12-01-2008, 1:39 PM
I'v got a a few old planes - some that I use regularly and some that are pieced together and a bunch of spare parts. Most are Stanley or Baily/Stanleys From #8 to #3 and 6 or 7 60 1/2s. I see all the time here references to type 5 or type 9 and know there must be some reference books out there with all the information. Which books or informations source
do you use for this? I've got a #8 that I want to restore, but some parts don't seem 'right' so I thought this was the place to start.

steve swantee
12-01-2008, 1:55 PM
https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm
Johnny has a great pictoral guide to the "types". Hope this helps you out

Steve

Douglas Brummett
12-01-2008, 2:00 PM
2nd that.
Johnny should release that in print or pdf version for some $$ :)
I'd buy a copy.

Best type study I have seen for us novice to the type system.

David Keller NC
12-01-2008, 2:11 PM
Paul - There's at least a few type studies for Stanely bench planes on the web. If you're interested, I'd suggest also reading through Patrick Leach's "Stanely Blood and Gore" - it's factual, but also highly entertaining.

The bible for Stanley products is John Walter's "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools: Guide to Identity and Value", second edition, 1996. There's about 900 pages in this book, and while more recent efforts have probably brought up the need for some slight revisions to the book, it's highly valued by collectors. Pristine and signed copies can go for as much as $500, moderately-used ones for near $300, and even ratty, tattered copies that are complete and readable go for $150.

If you see a copy for less than $150, I'd suggest buying it. From what I understand, a 3rd edition, or even a 2nd edition reprint, are dependent on the resolution of a divorce case between John and his ex, so I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Paul Atkins
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Steve, that is a great link, I agree with Douglas too. Seems like I always thought ' a #5 is a #5' with a few cosmetic variations - sort of like the myth VW parts are all interchangeable. (Unless you have the '67 convertible) etc. David, Thanks for the info. I now remember from my past the value guide that I couldn't afford then. Leache's sounds interesting too.
Now I've got 'too much information' for my own good - I'm supposed to be getting some work done. Thanks

Marcus Ward
12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
This is the site I usually use to type a plane:
http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/

Paul Atkins
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Marcus. Worked really fast too.