PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Recommendation

Bill Mitchel
12-01-2008, 1:02 PM
Hello all

I am looking for some of your thoughts on lathes. I have around 5-700 to spend, want a 1 1/2 hp ( I have a 3/4 hp now and it's just not enough:mad: ). Probaly used - could go new but I'm wondering is there something in this price range that's decent? Open to all ideas - that being said I'm not looking to rebuild or restore one.
Sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong area.
Thanks!
Bill

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2008, 3:44 PM
Bill if you are wanting a 1 1/2 hp unit about the cheapest you can get and it is a dandy lathe is the Nova 1624-44 but it is $1199.99. Then you start getting into like the Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp for $1899.99. For around your price it would be a Jet 1236 but again 3/4 hp for around $736. Most of the lathes less than the Nova 1624 will be 3/4 or 1 hp. I am sure more will chime in but when I was researching lathes this is what I found. Look on Craigs List and you might find some good used ones. Also watch the classifieds here and on other wood forums. Sometimes there are some to be had. Most of the name brand lathes hold their value pretty well so don't be surprised. I tried the used route for 1 1/2 hp or bigger. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a new Nova DVR XP.

Jim Kountz
12-01-2008, 3:57 PM
I think Bernie about covered this, when I was doing my research the numbers he gave were the same in my experience. I know thats not exactly what you had in mind but those are the facts.

Wilbur Pan
12-01-2008, 4:14 PM
With that budget, you have two options.

1. Mini lathe, which it sounds like you already ruled out.

2. Used lathe.

Having said that, you may have good luck finding a used lathe, depending on what part of the country you are in. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can get a used lathe up and running fairly easily.

A better question would be, why do you want more HP? What lathe do you have, and what is it that your 3/4 HP motor isn't doing for you?

Bill Mitchel
12-01-2008, 5:05 PM
Great questions Wilbur

I don't mind fixing a few things on a lathe - just don't want a total rebuild. I posted something in the classifieds on this forum.
Right now I have a HF lathe, just a starter but runs true and was $125 but when I try to turn anything say 8 - 10" it stalls the motor. I turn the speed all the way down so there is more torque and it still stalls. I have to take very fine cuts until I get the weight off and it takes forever to rough out a blank.
I had the motor checked out and they said it was running good. I was thinking about upgrading the motor, nothing big - don't want to over power and start breaking things but it has a weird housing on it. They said it would be tough to find an upgrade.

Thanks for the input
Bill

Tom Keen
12-01-2008, 5:26 PM
I dont think you are going to get the power you want for $800. However, you might look at used lathe.. they do come up. A good used Delta, Rockwell, or Powermatic might work. I checked Craigs list in St. Louis, there were two older lathes listed. I was at a school auction a couple of weeks ago. They sold two Rockwell lathes for $350 apiece. Add an inverter and either one would have fit your budget.

Good luck!

David Walser
12-01-2008, 6:23 PM
Bill,

I read a post by someone who upgraded the Harbor Freight lathe by installing a 2 - 3 horse motor. (I don't recall which forum the post was on, so I cannot provide a link.) He did it for the same reason people sometimes put a 350 V8 in a VW Beetle -- to see if he could. Anyway, he claimed the end result was a very nice lathe.

So, if the HF lathe meets your needs in every way other than power, you might consider replacing your motor with one that's more powerful. You should be able to do that within in your budget. Me, I'd look for a used lathe.

Bill Mitchel
12-01-2008, 6:37 PM
Thanks David

I think I've come to that conclusion pretty quickly - just look for a used lathe. Thanks for the help and I'll keep my eyes open.

Bill

Wilbur Pan
12-01-2008, 9:13 PM
Great questions Wilbur

I don't mind fixing a few things on a lathe - just don't want a total rebuild. I posted something in the classifieds on this forum.
Right now I have a HF lathe, just a starter but runs true and was $125 but when I try to turn anything say 8 - 10" it stalls the motor. I turn the speed all the way down so there is more torque and it still stalls. I have to take very fine cuts until I get the weight off and it takes forever to rough out a blank.

If you are using a variable speed controller on your lathe, as your RPMs drop, your torque will drop as well.

If this is the case, and you are happy with the capacity and condition of your lathe, I'd take your budget and go for a motor upgrade. Otherwise, look for a used lathe.

Jim Becker
12-02-2008, 8:40 AM
Wilbur, the HFT lathe (presuming the 34706) has a Reeves drive and is pretty much the same design as the old Jet 1236. It's not a "true" variable speed system and the speed is due to the variable pulley ratio.

Kurt Bird
12-03-2008, 7:00 AM
Bill,
There is a Woodfast 20" lathe on ebay right now. I don't know what the reserve is, and the lathe is in Jackson, MS, but it looks like it is in primo condition, and it is a very good lathe. You may want to check it out.
Kurt

Benjamin Dahl
12-03-2008, 7:27 AM
Bill, I looked at the one Kurt mentioned and that would be great. I doubt it will go for a really low price as it seems to be in mint condition. I also saw a general lathe in Indiana that might go in your price range, looks to come with some tools as well. I think someone recently posted about acquiring a similar lathe and he paid 850; the consensus was that he got a good deal. you'd want to find out which model to see if it is general or general international and what the swing is since the details are not that specific.
good luck and keep us updated.
Ben

Philip Morris
12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
The Woodfast on eBay has a reserve of $2300, so it won't be cheap, especially if you have to pay shipping. Also, that one does not have electronic variable speed (EVS), something most people want on machines this size.

There is a used 20" Woodfast in Eastern TN listed on WoodCentral. It has been equipped with EVS and includes a couple of chucks. You can find the listing if you go to MESSAGEBOARDS, then CLASSIFIED.