PDA

View Full Version : cable tv wiring connectors - question

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a question about cable tv wire connectors. I use F-style crimp-on connectors with good success. However, I've never "pulled back" the braided shield back over the cable...I usually just "twist" the connector onto the end, making sure the dielectric is seated properly, and then just crimp it. Some instructions I've read indicate I should.....Should I be pulling back the braiding before crimping to make better contact?

Also, I was told that compression fittings typically are a better option - better connection. anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ken Garlock
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Good afternoon, John. The crimp on F-type connector are cheap. That is the only reason I can think of for using them. However, they can be quick to install. I must admit to being one of the users of F connectors. Having wired our TV/Internet/phone outlets in our house, I have done some crimping.
My method is to cut back both insulation and braid such that the center conductor is exposed about 1/2". Then, carefully cut back the plastic jacket and braid another 1/8" being sure to not cut the insulation around the center conductor.

Second step is to make sure there are no stray wires from the braid exposed from the cable jacket.

Finally, slide the connector onto the cable and proceed to push and twist the connector down into the braid/insulation until the center insulation is poking into the female end of the connector. This will take some effort, but you will get the hang of it about the time you install your last connector:rolleyes:. Make sure the center conductor cannot, in any way touch the connector.With the connector in place, get the crimping tool and crimp the connector to the cable. Oh yes, cut the center conductor even of the end of the connector.

Pick up your tools and move to the next cable end.:eek:

BTW, I specialize in non understandable instructions.:D

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-01-2008, 1:28 PM
thanks for the info. and they're perfectly understandable. sounds pretty much like how I do it. I have a tool that cuts the cable/sheathing/etc all at once. my question had to do with what to do with the braided shield...sounds like you do what I've been doing, which is to just push and twist the connector on, and not bother "pulling back" the braided shield back over the cable.