PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Pens ( my version)

John Terefenko
12-01-2008, 9:56 AM
Made some bullet pens and key rings. Some have deer antler for the top, some acrylics and some double cartridges. Used 308 and 30-06 with 30 cal. bullets for the nibs. All items are polished and then powdercoated so that mirror shine will last. Used slimline kits. Some of the antler was able to just sand and polish while others had to be filled in with med. CA glue. Sorry for the bad photos and I will be trying to work on my photography in the upcoming months. Might try a photo tent to help this. Thanks for looking and any comments or questions welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/pensandkeychains.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/goldsilverbulletpens.jpg

Paul Douglass
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Nice job on them all. My favorite is antler/cartridge. They just seem made for each other. Been afraid to carry a cartridge pen or key chain. Have to go through security gates every once in a while. Don't know how it would be received.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Great job on some great looking pens. I like the antler one also.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2008, 1:56 PM
Nice work on everything John! Another vote for the antler/cartridge pen!

Jeff Nicol
12-01-2008, 7:38 PM
As a die hard hunter I appreciate the them even more!

Thanks for posting them!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
12-01-2008, 7:46 PM
Really nice and something different, great job!

Skip Spaulding
12-01-2008, 8:02 PM
They look great, my vote goes with the antler pen also.

Billy Tallant
12-01-2008, 8:10 PM
Nice looking pens... Since I like to deer hunt, the antler seems the perfect match for the bullet pen. Great job...

Clara Koss
12-01-2008, 8:19 PM
great pens.... interesting use of the bullet!!!!

Tom Wilson66
12-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Nice pens, John. My vote goes for the keychain pens.

Ryan ParkerNJ
01-29-2010, 12:09 PM
very nice work, did you make the bullet part yourself?

John Terefenko
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Ryan

I did make the bullet parts from real bullets. I use 308 and 30-06 shells and reall boattail copper bullets. I powdercoat all the shells after polishing to a high shine. Here is another photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/cartridgepengoodone-1.jpg

Bob Vavricka
01-29-2010, 3:27 PM
Hi Ryan

I powdercoat all the shells after polishing to a high shine. Here is another photo.

John,
Nice job on the bullet pens. I really like the bullet/antler combination. Can you tell us more about what it takes to powdercoat them?
Thanks,
Bob V.

John Terefenko
01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
John,
Nice job on the bullet pens. I really like the bullet/antler combination. Can you tell us more about what it takes to powdercoat them?
Thanks,
Bob V.

Not much at all. I use a Harbor freight gun. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94244

I get my powders from here, http://store.columbiacoatings.com/ I get the high gloss clear.

The next thing you need is a oven which you can get in the flee markets for practically nothing. You need this to cook the poder and turn it into a liquid and then turns into a solid. I got one in Walmarts that was damaged so got it cheap. I got one that was a little larger because I can fit more in it and you want the heat centralized on the casing or else you get hot spots. You need a place to spray the powder because it can blow because it is so fine. I usually do it in my garage with the doors close but it is way too cold in the winter so no powdercoating now. Then the last thing is you need a way to hold the cartridges so you can spray them and also be able to transport them to the oven without shaking them so that the powder falls off. I use a piece of metal stud with some bolts through it to slip the cartridge over and spray. You need something metal to hook the ground wire from the gun to to give the negative charge.

Really not hard at all and after you do one or two you learn the do's and don'ts. The thing I like about the powdercoating is it will put a rock hard surface on the pen that will last a lifetime. You could also try using metal lacquers. There are alot of people that do that. Sherwin Williams sells a good one. Then there are those that let them go commando and turn tarnish. If they want the shine they just polish with Brasso again. Many ways of doing them. Hope that helps.

Jon Lanier
01-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Those look really good! Congratulations on some hard work done well.

John Terefenko
01-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Those look really good! Congratulations on some hard work done well.

Thanks Jon. I am surprised how well they sell too. Will be making more in the spring hopefully.

Jon Lanier
01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks Jon. I am surprised how well they sell too. Will be making more in the spring hopefully.

Don't forget the law enforcement community. They sell well there too!

John Terefenko
01-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Don't forget the law enforcement community. They sell well there too!

You know that is actually not a bad idea. I know one of the cops in town and will try spreading the word. I usually get the hunters that love these. Antler tops sell the best.

Jon Lanier
01-30-2010, 3:07 PM
You know that is actually not a bad idea. I know one of the cops in town and will try spreading the word. I usually get the hunters that love these. Antler tops sell the best.

Make a couple special ones and give them to them. The orders will come pouring in.

Ryan ParkerNJ
01-30-2010, 3:52 PM
Hi Ryan

I did make the bullet parts from real bullets. I use 308 and 30-06 shells and reall boattail copper bullets. I powdercoat all the shells after polishing to a high shine. Here is another photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/cartridgepengoodone-1.jpg
Nice.
I just ordered my first bullet pen kit based on how good yours look, i am thinking antler on top.

John Terefenko
01-30-2010, 4:00 PM
Nice.
I just ordered my first bullet pen kit based on how good yours look, i am thinking antler on top.

Not sure where you got your kit or what kit it is but there are the imitation kits out there. They are real easy to make and they come with a great clear coating on them so alot of the work is done already and they are good sellers. If you go to a gun club or gun show, bring alot of them.

Ryan ParkerNJ
01-30-2010, 4:02 PM
I got a 30.06 kit from WnW.
where did you get the antler