PDA

View Full Version : HTC Mobile Bases for G0634

dan lemkin
12-01-2008, 9:16 AM
Do you know which HTC (or other brand) base will fit the G0634 planer/jointer.

There are too many bad posts re: the shopfox bases. The HTC bases have gotten good reviews, but there is no base with matching dimensions. Their adjustable base tops out at 700lb which is probably too close to the 675lb of the machine.

People have posted that they have gotten stock bases that work.... but no model mentioned that I could find. The custom base quote I got was between $350 to $450 which is a bit high for a base...

I have PM'd the owners/posters and not gotten a response in several days, so any advice would be appreciated.

-dan

Chip Lindley
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Bah Humbug!!! I would go with HTCs adjustable base. It is reasonably priced, and 700 pound rating will handle your machine. Go for it !

I have always cut out the middle man and made my own bases approximating HTCs design, of scrap junkyard materials. They turn out slick! I guess its just the SCROOGE in me!!

Doug Shepard
12-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Zambus casters are another option. The AC-300S is around $35 ea and I think the load rating for 4 is 1200 Lbs (? double check their site on that but it's more than 700 anyway). That's $140 vs whatever the mobile bases are.

Larry Conely
12-01-2008, 5:12 PM
I'm a big HTC fan. I've had HTC, tried others and even had my own bases custom made. I always come back to HTC. I happen to be near HTC, so I drive to their factory and discuss products with them directly. I have always found them helpful and easy to work with. I suggest you call the factory at (800)624-2027 and talk to them about your needs. I agree that a 700 lb rating will be that, and more.

steven sherman
12-01-2008, 5:47 PM
Dan:

You can purchase the same HTC mobile base on ebay for $59.99. http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

JET Mobile Base by HTC ~ Fits Most 20" Planers, & More

I purchased this mobile base for the G0634. The base fits perfectly.

I installed a plywood in the mobile base.. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steven DeMars
12-01-2008, 5:55 PM
This is what I built for my JET Jointer / Planer . . . .

Steve:)

Rick Peek
12-01-2008, 6:10 PM
Do you know which HTC (or other brand) base will fit the G0634 planer/jointer.

There are too many bad posts re: the shopfox bases. The HTC bases have gotten good reviews, but there is no base with matching dimensions. Their adjustable base tops out at 700lb which is probably too close to the 675lb of the machine.

People have posted that they have gotten stock bases that work.... but no model mentioned that I could find. The custom base quote I got was between $350 to $450 which is a bit high for a base...

I have PM'd the owners/posters and not gotten a response in several days, so any advice would be appreciated.

-dan
I just got word my new G0634 will be here tomorrow. I also heard
lacluster reports on the grizz base. So I was going to buy an HTC base
thru Amazon. Lots of lousy reviews on Amazon about their base as well.
Most say it wont handle 500lbs let alone 700 lbs. Now I dont know
what to buy. I may just build my own.

dan lemkin
12-01-2008, 7:13 PM
Thanks,

I got the HTC 341 base, and will throw a piece of 3/4 ply in the bottom as recommended. When 3-4 people lift this thing... do you just lift by the tables? Or is there some other masochistic manner of getting this thing off the pallet?

Steven DeMars
12-01-2008, 7:15 PM
I have detailed drawings if it will help assuming you like the way I did it. You could change them to match your equipment . .They are in AutoCAD, but I can save them into a DXF file and you can bring them up in something else . .

Even if all you did was engineer and cut all the pieces, any welder / welding shop could weld it together in an hour . . .

As to lifting I used straps & an engine lift . . . rolled the stand under, let it down real easy . .

DO NOT LIFT WITH THE TABLES ! ! !

Steven DeMars
12-01-2008, 7:29 PM
Zambus casters are another option. The AC-300S is around $35 ea and I think the load rating for 4 is 1200 Lbs (? double check their site on that but it's more than 700 anyway). That's $140 vs whatever the mobile bases are.

Great Lakes Caster offers the same style caster for less $$$$. You have to order from their sister company to get the larger capacity casters.

These are rated at 550 lbs each. You typically want to buy your casters rated at all (4) totalling double what you need. Eliminate problems . . .

dan lemkin
12-01-2008, 8:02 PM
Do the legs/feet of the engine hoist get in the way, or can you position them otherwise?

Steven DeMars
12-01-2008, 9:04 PM
I had no problem. Take a tape measure to where ever you are going to borrow / rent an engine hoist. Measure your foot print. You may have to tilt the tables back, but I doubt it . . .

If you want to ask a lot of questions as I always do, I can PM you my phone number and I'll be most happy to share what I know from my experience. I know when you are looking at dead lifting 650 pounds it seems like a lot, but with an engine hoist you are not even getting near it's limits . . .

Ben West
12-01-2008, 9:32 PM
I know Shop Fox mobile bases have gotten poor reviews, but mine (for a G0634 too) is fine. It's doesn't have quite the fit and finish of a couple of my HTC bases, but it's ok. And much cheaper.

Maybe it will fail me in the future, but for now, the Shop Fox mobile base was a good buy.

Just FYI.

Scott Myers
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I just took delivery of a SawStop cabinet saw and its mobile base. Now if ever there was a mobile base to try to duplicate for other machines, this is the one to recreate. I've never seen anything even close to it before. It uses a little hydraulic bottle jack. The machine sits flat on the floor through the metal in the base when it is not lifted, so the machine is not on the wheels when in use. You pump up the jack with your foot (3-4 very easy pushes) to lift it and then push a little lever to release the jack and let the machine down. You can even adjust how fast/slow the machine can be let down. The casters are heavy duty industrial polyurethane with large diameter ball bearings. The thing is a hoss! It is rated for 1000 lb., and I would guess that is a conservative rating. I can push the SawStop around in any direction from a standstill like it weighs 50 lb, not 635!

And the finish on it!! It's like a black mirror. Who puts a finish on a mobile base like that? Very impressive. It's not the cheapest base around at $300, but compared to anything else I have seen based on the quality and design, it's a very fair price for what you get.

Chuck Tringo
12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
The new Rockler all terain mobile base looks interesting and its (supposedly) rated at 800 lbs. The price is around 200 or so delivered I believe. Might be worth a look, it has 5 inch wheels so it can be easily maneuvered over uneven/rough areas.

dan lemkin
12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
wow... I am really jealous about your sawstop saw... I definitely can not justify dropping 4k on a cabinet version, but I am looking very closely at the contractor saw with upgrades and will put that on my short list for this spring.

Matt Benton
12-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Here is the base I built for my Unisaw, based on Cary Falk's design. Made from 5/4 Ash. I would suggest using 3" to 4" poly casters if at all possible, as opposed to the plastic ones that come on most mobile bases. I can move this with zero effort...

Scott Myers
12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Dan,

You won't be dissappointed, I assure you. I've got two young boys here at home that were the catalyst for the purchase. Even my wife gave me the blessing! Yep, it was WAY painful chunking down the $4K+. But now it's pure hog heaven.

Unfortunately, they don't do that really cool hydraulic lift mobile base on the contractor version. Of course your not lifting over 600 lb on the contractor saw. But I am sure the integrated version of the mobile base thay have for it is just as well designed. They seem to do things in a "design quality priority first, price second" manner, which suits me.

wow... I am really jealous about your sawstop saw... I definitely can not justify dropping 4k on a cabinet version, but I am looking very closely at the contractor saw with upgrades and will put that on my short list for this spring.