PDA

View Full Version : Refurb / Used Compucarve sub $1000, worth it?

travis howe
12-01-2008, 9:16 AM
My question is, has anyone had to pay for repairs on these, would it be worth it if you can get deep discounts such as this?

I see that sears has a sell on refurb'd compucarve machines for $999, w/ a 6 month warranty, doesn't look like you can get any warranty beyond that.

Also, there are some for sale on ebay well under 1k.

JERRY STARK
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I had three of the craftsman and compucarve's i wouldnt waste my money get a good dependable machine in the years i had three and i was down for 5 month out of 12 just my experance

james mcgrew
01-09-2009, 9:10 PM
i have one bought it on an impulse quick fun, short lived, extremly limited, spend a little more and get a cnc w/ gcode capability

AL Ursich
01-09-2009, 9:56 PM
I have 3 and I am making money with them. I am a Mr. Fix it so the problems are easy for me. For simple small signs it is a good deal for me.

Someday I will have a Shop Bot.

I post as digitalwoodshop over on the CarveWright forum.

I hear the price went up on the Sears refurbished units.

The eBay units won't have a warranty no matter what the seller tells you. I would not buy a eBay unit for that reason unless you were very good at fixing them.

I bought #2 and #3 broken for half price and fixed them. #2 was early when LHR let the second owner have the warranty based on the cut hour reading. Now they are very tight and every serial number and hour meter and sales receipt is checked.

It more than likely has more down time than a Shop Bot but the fixes are easy. #3 is my parts machine at the moment. LHR asked me to register it by Serial Number but I told them it was never going to be in warranty and did not bother.

The Probe Software on eBay is not transferable once registered.

The dark brown signs are done using the "Modern" font and Outline Mode and a 3/8 inch bit. Cuts fast and with a .10 depth makes for a flat bottom text that the customer likes. Looks like the plastic Router Templates.

AL

AL Ursich
01-09-2009, 10:17 PM
If I were looking for machine #4 I would buy a refurbished unit.

AL

Here are my hour meters.

Had fun making the County Fair Fire Trophies and Participation plaques from Oak. The Last picture made it all worth the work. And that was 1st place.....

There were some serious bumps in the road as posted here... http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8139&highlight=Fire+Fair