PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....Thanksgiving Edition

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2008, 8:05 AM
1 Dec 2008

Good Morning,
Well, I don't have to tell you that you have a little over 3 weeks to be ready for Christmas morning. Lot's to do between now and then.!!!

Well, we got back last night from our family visits to Alabama for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is the only holiday we always set aside for out of state family visit. After driving for a little over 1,100 miles round trip, it was well worth the trip...and thankfully the gas prices were well under $2 per gallon which made the family trip "much" more affordable. For the gas prices being down under $1.70 per gallon? We were extremely thankful.

We visited my folks in Huntsville, AL and then we visited with the LOML's folks in Prattville, AL (real quick trip there and a short stay due to aging parents with a short tolerance level for many visitors in their home), and last but not least, we visited the SIL and her husband and family in Chelsea, AL. We stayed there the longest (3 day) as we always have a good time visiting with them and our growing kids get along very well together. Then it was the drive home yesterday and what a mess the traffic was on I-40 between Memphis, TN and Little Rock, AR.!!!! WOW!!!!! What normally would take us 2 hours to go from Memphis to Little Rock? Took almost 4 hours due to traffic and using I-40 as a parking lot for about 30-45 minutes along the way. I guess next year, we'll just travel home the Monday AFTER Thanksgiving to give the roads time to clear.

No woodworking this weekend...just spending a LOT of time behind the wheel of the mini-van.

So what did YOU do this festive weekend???
Best of weeks to you all.

Charles P. Wright
12-01-2008, 8:09 AM
On thanksgiving I finished the machining of a high chair, all that is left is sanding and finishing. I also got our Christmas lights mostly up. I just need a few more pathway lights and to replace the neon green extension cord with a more subdued one.

Thomas Knighton
12-01-2008, 8:09 AM
Weather kept me from doing much in the way of woodworking this weekend (my shop is actually just my back porch). However, I did get the base cut out for a rack that we'll hang stockings off of since we no longer have a fireplace. It'll do off-season duty as another coat rack.

I got it cut out and shaped with my limited tools. Now I'm just waiting on supplies to get here to finish it up. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done ;)

Jim Becker
12-01-2008, 9:09 AM
'Hope all had a nice Turkey Day!!! Much to be thankful for...

I actually had a productive "woodworking" weekend for a change, building a tack trunk (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97948) for our equestrian activities. Construction is complete and the finishing process started. I should be able to move it into the tack room this coming weekend. It did feel good to be back in the shop, working on something "on my list". Outside of some time issues, I also had to overcome a power issue that was affecting my slider, but that's been dealt with successfully. (Overvoltage requiring a buck transformer)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102450&d=1228102129

Dennis, when we drove to our friends' home in Haddonfield NJ for the Thanksgiving Feast, I noted that gas prices in NJ were at $1.59. I'll be heading over the line sometime this week to fill up my Barnes and Noble needs as well as my fuel tank!

David Eppler
12-01-2008, 9:22 AM
So I started each morning walking out at Honeymoon Island. Great to see the bald eagles building a nest.

I didn't make nearly as much progress as I wanted to but this is the baby doll crib from Woodcraft magazine. I made it in oak (what I had on hand - resawn down from 13/16 stock) and hence, I had to turn all the spindles as my local store carried only the maple spindles called for in the plan. I also needed to make it a bit longer as my niece collects the 18" American Girl dolls, not the 15" the plan is designed for.

Not too bad so far for my first real piece of flatwork other than construction work. Building this taught me I need to get sawblades sharpened and build a crosscut sled.

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2008, 9:24 AM
It was moving day, my oldest daughter has moved from our house in suburbia to a condo downtown.

She had only been back home for about 6 months following school, however it's time for her to make her way in the world.

After the "moving experience", we had a meal of vindaloo, basmati rice and popadoms. Great meal, I made the vindaloo in her crock pot, and brought it with us. Nothing like the smell of it wafting through the condo as we were assembling the Ikea furniture.

Of course said daughter has now come up with a shopping list of furniture dear old Dad could make for her in his spare time.

Once I find where I left my spare time, I'll get right on that.

Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2008, 9:28 AM
Thanksgiving Day we went to the oldest son's for dinner. Our great-granddaughter 28 month old Riley provided the entertainment. When she discovered Cool Whip it became a riot! First a finger in the Cool Whip bowl...then another swirled around......into her mouth......then her whole fist and Cool Whip all over her face.

Did manage to watch a little football and turn a few Christmas presents.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2008, 9:31 AM
I finished up construction on the dresser project. I want to go over it one more time and check for any spots I need to hit with a 220 grit hand sanding but it is ready for finishing. The shop needs a serious cleaning though before I even think about putting on any finish.

Jim O'Dell
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
After a quick 9 hour trip to the parents house at Lake Texhoma on Thursday for Thanksgiving, then working Friday all day (7-6) LOML and I finished the room remodel. The "Pink Room" is no more!! We are accepting ideas on what to call it now. Still need to get some stuff to put on the walls, and finish trimming the tree for Christmas, but the hard part is done. Jim.

Joe Mioux
12-01-2008, 11:24 AM
worked most of the weekend and celebrated Anna's birthday yesterday.

The girls, Jennifer and Christina, helped me make breakfast for her. They did the eggs and I grilled some thin sliced ribeyes and bacon.

Later I took Anna out for dinner, after we got back the four kids and I got Anna, to the kitchen table for a DQ ice cream cake. Michael works at DQ and brought it home for his mom.

We then sprung the camera surprise on her. She loves the new Nikon D60. Thanks to all of you who helped with the camera recommendations.

joe