PDA

View Full Version : Tool Handle

Tom Bucanan
12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Which do you prefer: the Kelton handle or the Oneway handle?

Gordon Seto
12-01-2008, 1:01 AM
Both are steel handles; the balance and feel are the same. OW has aluminum ends. Kelton has black paint; they will chip and scratch.
The KH-1 (5/16" & 3/8" holes) has a smaller diameter than the 12" OW. OW handles has 1/2" & 5/8" holes; a 5/8" to 3/8" adapter is required for 3/8" tools. When using the adapter, the 2nd set screw is too far from the end to grip the 2" tool tang.
The KH-3 is about 2" shorter than the OW, the same hole sizes as OW.
For steel handle, I would suggest you look at the Monster handles.
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html
Extremely well made. The fit and finish are 1st class. He will custom made any size you want.
The only thing I don't like his handle is the size of the set screw. All my other handles and chuck jaws use M4 hex wrench. I hate to carry an extra 1/8" hex wrench just for that handle.
Just a happy customer.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2008, 7:55 AM
I second Gordon's recommendation for the Monster handle! I find mine very comfortable to use and I use it everyday! I have my Doug Thompson 5/8" V gouge mounted in the handle and have the handle filled with BBs to add weight. Seriously - can't imagine a better handle!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree with the Monster handles. I also like the ones from Dave Pebbles that are sold on Doug Thompson's site. Very well made.

Frank Kobilsek
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Gordon,
I'll throw in the Trent Bosch handle as an affordable, quality (aluminum) alternative. Great guy too.
Frank

Gordon Seto
12-01-2008, 1:56 PM
We are going to have more choices. Only competition will bring price down and quality high.
Just saw it in another place, Doug Thompson is going to have his version of handles coming out this spring.
Belonging to the same Club, I hope our members may be among the first to have the chance to "field test" them.
When we tested the bowl gouges, there were no free samples to keep. Most of us just insisted on buying and refused to return them after playing.

Doug Thompson
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm going toss another one in the mix next year... we need choices and more to talk about. Handles are tough to do because very few of us use the same handle and it even changes between bowl and spindle gouges. :eek:

Cyril Griesbach
12-02-2008, 8:53 AM
I like the ones I have from Dave Peebles and the one I got from Dennis Yoder. I have some from Oneway but think they are too heavy.

Go here to see Dave's handles.
http://www.bowlturner.com/

Jim Underwood
12-02-2008, 9:37 AM

I'll take either one you'll give me. :D

Kim Ford
12-02-2008, 2:04 PM
Tom;

I really like the Oneway.

Glenn Roberts
12-05-2008, 4:51 PM

Tom I have come in this a bit late, but which Kelton handle? as I believe Kelton make aluminium and steel and they make the Ultimate handles.
(I assume that their full range of tools are not sold at each store in USA - a problem with their tools)
I would say it depends on how you are going to use them?

Personaly I have used 'grub' screw handles (in different styles) for years and I have moved on to collet style handles. There are heaps of advantages. (particularly the ones I am using)
I have been trialing a new Ultimate handle for some time, fingers crossed Kelton will market these in the not too distant future.

Hope this helps.

Curt Fuller
12-05-2008, 6:24 PM
Wood!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Madison
12-05-2008, 7:32 PM
Jim U., I'm with you. Send 'em to us and we will test and form some opinions. Meanwhile prefer wood like Curt. Turned one for new Thompson gouge, and a while back even turned some wood sleeves to fit on the 1/2" steel pipe "handles" of some home made tools.