PDA

View Full Version : Good source for Hollow Chisels for mortiser

Andrew Nemeth
11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
After jumping on the Jet Hollow Chisel Mortiser deal on ebay using MS Cashback I will be looking for a set of Hollow chisels. Does anyone have a good source for a high quality set of chisels for it? Are there better brands than others?

Jay Jolliffe
12-01-2008, 6:11 AM
Lee Valley

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2008, 8:06 AM
A second vote for Lee Valley........Rod.

John Grogan
12-01-2008, 8:19 AM
I bought the mortiser as well and bought the chisels at holbren

Mitchell Andrus
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Fish brand are to only ones I'll use. Tried them all, worth the extra few dollars, trust me. Sometimes the Delta house brand are Fish. You'll see a small fish on the shank.

Joe Spear
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Do you mean Fisch? I can't find a Fish brand anywhere. Of course, fisch means fish in German.

Dan Lee
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
I also use Fisch chisels. Have used Clico which I didn't thinkk were worth the cost. Whatever you get buy the cones for honing the insides. And polish the outsides I think I used 120 thru 1000 grit sand paper

Andrew Nemeth
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Do you have a source for the Fisch chisels? I was looking on their website and it directed me to Amazon but I didn't find anything on there yet.

I also came across CMT chisels. Does anybody on here have experience with their hollow chisels? I use their router bits on occasion and have been impressed.

John Thompson
12-01-2008, 1:51 PM
I use the CMT on my 650 lb. Industrial floor mortiser with excellent results. I have used the Lee Valley and they are excellent out of the box but are more expensive than the CMT's which are also very good at a reasonable price. I didn't personally care for the Fisch when I tried them.

Sarge..

Joseph Hadley
12-01-2008, 3:42 PM
I had a need for a 3/4" Hollow chisel and ended up buying a very expensive one from Morris Tool. I was building a pair of large doors with a total of 20 3/4" through mortises. The Morris chisel and bit cost around $150 kidney punches. The first one arrived with the points curved inward...result of a bad sharpening/polishing job at Morris. They agreed to FedEx a new one, but I had to pay in advance for the new one, with a refund coming when I mailed back the first one. The second one arrived with straight sides, but the hole for the bit was way off-center. I ended up grinding the first one down to just under 3/4". The steel is great, but their production and quality control is lousy. Nice enough people, but I couldn't believe they were letting this stuff out of their shop, especially at that price.

For smaller hollow chisels, I too vote for the Japanese units sold by Lee Valley. Very precise, needing very little work to get them flat, polished and ready to go.

Good luck with it!

JD

Mitchell Andrus
12-01-2008, 4:03 PM
Do you mean Fisch? I can't find a Fish brand anywhere. Of course, fisch means fish in German.

Potato, potatoe... whatever.

"Teach a man to fisch...."

James Boster
12-01-2008, 8:33 PM
I have also used the CMT with great results. I got mine through woodcraft.

Joe Spear
12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Potato, potatoe... whatever.

"Teach a man to fisch...."

I was just asking because I did come across a brand of Swedish bench chisels that have a fish on them and wondered if it the same company made hollow mortising chisels. They don't.