PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings with Jet Lathe

Billy Tallant
11-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Ok, finally got lathe together today. Promised pics last weekend but wasn't able to make it. When I bought the lathe, the middle brace was missing from the metal legs. Realized it was too wobbly without the middle brace. Saw the metal brace online on one site & cost was around $90.00. Decided that was too much for a short brace, so I decided to build my own brace. I extended the 2x6 in the back a few inches, so I can attach a lamp on the base to see better if needed. Finished the brace this afternoon & made my first pen. My wife is a nurse, so I used the medical pen. Needless to say, she gets my first pen.

http://www.btboers.com/wood/lathe1.jpg

http://www.btboers.com/wood/pen4.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Congrats on the lathe and getting it together. Looks like your brace will do the job. Pen looks great. She is going to like it and of course she gets the first. Wait till you start turning other things.:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Looks like you have everything all set up and running! Very nice pen! I am sure your wife will love it! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Don Carter
11-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Billy:
Good looking set up! Good looking pen. Smart to keep her in the loop on all turning products.;) I bet it won't be the last.
All the best.

Don

David Drickhamer
12-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. Your wife will love the pen.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2008, 2:07 AM
Great lathe and great pen! The LOML gets what ever turning of mine she wants....

Scott Lux
12-01-2008, 9:24 AM
Mine too. We call it "First right of refusal". If she doesn't want it, we sell it. But if it doesn't pass her inspection, we burn it.

Nice pen and good idea about the lamp base.

Billy Tallant
12-05-2008, 1:49 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. Got several pens in the works right now. Having a blast...

Jim Kountz
12-05-2008, 8:36 AM
Nah you must have bought that pen. There are absolutely NO shavings around that lathe at all. Cant have it, simply too clean!! LOL
Congrats on the new lathe and great job on the pen!!

Bill Bolen
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty pen! I too always thought that the price for the brace to extend the jet stand was about $65 too much! Great engineering on your home made alternative! Now you can take the saved $$ from the extension and buy a bunch more pen kits!...Bill...