PDA

View Full Version : help on bottle stoppers

Dahl Troy Perry
11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok I need some help . I bought some stoppers at Rockler they are a dowel pin that goe's into the pice you turn. they are 9mm . The arbor that they sell is a pin with about 1/4-20 threads on one end and staright on the other end to go in your chuck. Do you drill and tap your wood to screw on to turn and then drill out to glue in the dowel for the stopper??Can not find any info on the process . May seam like a no brainer but thought I'd ask.

Dahl

bob herr
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Yes drill a hole in the blank first a little smaller then a 1/4" tap the hole turn the blank. Then with a hand drill redrill the hole to 9mm (may have to drill in stages) glue dowel in and you are ready to go. Hope this helps.

Frank Kobilsek
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Dahl,
Search for the Central Illinois Woodturners. I have posted instructions there on turning stoppers that you may find helpful. Good luck and enjoy.
Frank

Dahl Troy Perry
12-01-2008, 5:25 PM
Thanks Bob and Frank that tells me I'm an the right track liked the form Frank tells good from start to finish. Where do you get your acrilic peices all I've been able to find are the size for pens.

Dahl

Frank Kobilsek
12-02-2008, 9:57 AM
Dahl
Many of my stoppers are made of Stabilized and Dyed Burl blanks that I buy from Arizona Silhoutte. I have not ordered in awhile but Bill is a good guy to work with.
Frank