PDA

View Full Version : Minwax Polyshades?

Steven DeMars
11-30-2008, 9:48 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the Minwax One Step Polyshades.
Going to try the Mahogany . . .

I'm looking at trying on a shop cabinet that is constructed of pine & pine plywood.

Steve

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 9:54 PM
I used it once. Years ago. Never again. And a man named Jim Kull, who I have a lot of respect for when it comes to finishing knowledge, said, more or less, "Polyshades is the worst thing to ever happen to a can"...or thereabouts.

Steven DeMars
11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I was pretty much thinking the same . . .

Thansk
Steve

Steve Schoene
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
It's a horrible product. Using it takes much more effort than systems that separate the color steps from the top coat. Two easy steps versus one virtually impossible attempt to avoid streaks and laps and otherwise bad looking finish.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2008, 7:05 AM
Horrible. Only way I can explain it.

Jim Becker
12-01-2008, 7:45 AM
Horrible. Only way I can explain it.

I suspect you could explain it with a lot more fervor, but it would probably require language that is not acceptable at SMC... LOL :D

Matt Meiser
12-01-2008, 8:26 AM
Yes, that's what I meant to say. :D

I used it on one project. Then I used the rest on the wood I wrapped around a column in our basement instead of throwing the rest away. I wouldn't even recommend it for a basement.

Mark Patoka
12-01-2008, 9:41 AM
I tried it once and it is very crappy stuff, to say the least. It will take you two coats to get any kind of even coverage, especially with that darker shade. The lighter shades may be more acceptable but save your money and go the separate stain/poly route instead, you'll be much happier. Ended up using it on a shop cart just to use some of it up.

I would really like to know who buys and uses that stuff for Minwax to keep making it. There must be an awful lot of DIYers that have absolutely no eye or hand on how a decent finished item/job should look or feel.

I just need to remember when the haz waste collection days are so I can turn in my two cans of the junk.

Tim Solley
12-01-2008, 5:02 PM
Just in case all those other opinions didn't convince you, I'll throw in my experience. I used Polyshades on two end tables for my living room. Terrible, horrible stuff. I'm seriously considering sanding them down and refinishing them. Don't use it!