PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance Band Saw inserts

john master
11-30-2008, 8:58 PM
I have a Powermatic 14" Bandsaw (PWBS-14CS (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=824315&FamilyID=5243)) and I want to get some zero clearance inserts for it, but the only ones I see for sale are for either Delta or Jet. Does anyone know where I can get some for a PW?

Thanks

Johnm Chase
11-30-2008, 9:27 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17458&filter=zero%20clearance%20inserts%20bandsaw

Dewey Torres
12-01-2008, 1:27 AM
John if you buy the Rockler one make sure you drill 1/8: holes in it for the DC:)

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2008, 8:10 AM
I normally make mine from scraps of wood or UHMW plastic.....Rod.

Bill Huber
12-01-2008, 11:43 AM
John if you buy the Rockler one make sure you drill 1/8: holes in it for the DC:)

What are the holes for, I have the Jet 14' and use the Rockler inserts but I don't have any holes in them.

Dewey Torres
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
What are the holes for, I have the Jet 14' and use the Rockler inserts but I don't have any holes in them.

Bill,
Now that you ask you have me doubting myself. I thought it was to allow sawdust to fall down into the lower wheel cabinet via the blade where the DC is connected to.

Bill Huber
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Bill,
Now that you ask you have me doubting myself. I thought it was to allow sawdust to fall down into the lower wheel cabinet via the blade where the DC is connected to.

Well I am not sure but wouldn't the board you are cutting cover the holes?
Now on my Jet I am sure it wouldn't help, under the table is all open and I don't think it would pull any air though the holes.

Dewey Torres
12-01-2008, 1:24 PM

Yes it would if the board was wide enough. The Powermatic also has a small blower that keeps dust away from the saw kerf so you can see your cut line.

On my saw lot of dust falls though those holes. Having said that, a lot more than I would like is missed by the dust collection. I have been meaning to come up with an improvement for that. Maybe an over/under collection setup.

John Thompson
12-01-2008, 1:38 PM
Now on my Jet I am sure it wouldn't help, under the table is all open and I don't think it would pull any air though the holes.

Most of the time the holes would be covered, Bill. On a few re-saws where the stock is on edge they are not if you place them far enough to the outside. But... even though I do drill the holes I think the advantage is marginal but it requires little effort to drill them so.... :)

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
12-01-2008, 7:36 PM
My MM20's insert is quite religious (i.e. "holey") and comes that way from Minimax. I believe it does aid quite a bit in dust collection.