PDA

View Full Version : New (used) General

Doug Mason
11-30-2008, 6:36 PM
Recently picked up a used General - a model 160-2 I believe. Got it from craigslist for $850. I did this "spur-of-the -moment" with little understanding of lathes (had never used one before); but this, like all the General Canadian stuff I've seen, is rock solid; so when I saw it I grabbed it. It has a reverse switch and an index pin system.

Two questions for those of you in "the know"
1) Does $850 sound resonable?
2) What are the indexing pins used for?

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 8:09 PM
Ya, that's a nice machine...probably not all that hard to convert to true VS someday if you choose to do so, too. I can't comment on the price as I'm not familiar with what these go for these days.

Bill Bolen
11-30-2008, 8:11 PM
My gosh, she looks show room new! I think you did quite well. Especially with mini's going for close to $500 now! The indexing pin lets you rotate the stock and lock it into place at set degree spacings. Like for fluted colums ect...Enjoy, you need a lot more curlies on your shop floor!...Bill..

David Drickhamer
11-30-2008, 8:35 PM
Nice lathe, I think you did ok.
Curlies on the floor are better than any floor mat. Just don't hit your head on the ceiling.
Dave

john l graham
11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I bought a General 25-200 Maxi latheVS this summer. It was about $600 with shipping and no stand. I believe you have this lathe. https://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5195
If so and it is working you got a really good deal. Enjoy!!

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Doug - congrats on your new lathe! The lathe and shop look great! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Congrats on the lathe and it sure looks nice in your shop.

Doug Mason
11-30-2008, 11:51 PM
One other question: in looking at the above link from John, it stated that the spindle is threaded at both ends--and indeed it is on mine. But why is that? To do bowls on both sides?

And Jim - you mention VS (variable speed)--well this unit does have VS --uo to 3,000 RPM (assuming that's what you mean). Also, the previous owner had installed a switch near the motor which will put it in reverse speed.

George Guadiane
12-01-2008, 12:25 AM
If the tools pictured came with the lathe, you made an OUTSTANDING deal...
The chuck is a couple and each of the sorby tools are worth an average of $50.00 minimum.
The reverse option will be a real help for sanding and stuff.
Congratulations - Enjoy!

Norm Zax
12-01-2008, 5:38 AM
Doug,
Congrats on great buy. The other thread is for turning pieces of wood too large to put on the side above the bed. You need to forge a tool rest but the height limit is no longer there. Of course the motor and the width of the spindle will prevent you going beyond a specific weight. Make sure speed is zero before starting up the lathe with a large off center piece!

Ron Fleice
12-01-2008, 8:18 AM
You made a very good deal, that machine is in the 2500.00 range when new and it looks like new
I have the 160-18 VS and I love it, rock solid and precise...well done sir!
Ron

Philip Morris
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Doug,
Ditto other comments on getting a good deal on the lathe and tools.

Let me add that you should consider joining a local woodturning club to get some hands-on mentoring so that you learn the safe way to get into this wonderful hobby. A list of American Association of Woodturners (AAW) local chapters can be found at:

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Like most things there is a right way and wrong way of doing things. It is better to have someone tell/show you, than having the wood do it. For example, you have a yonking-sized "roughing gouge" shown in the lower left of your tool rack. You should know that it is not to be used for all roughing situations. There is a movement to rename the tool a "spindle roughing gouge (SRG)", so that new turners understand not to use it when roughing out bowls (the design of the tool can cause it to grab into the wood resulting in forces that can exceed the design limitations of the tang that holds it in the handle). Not to scare you, but the potential for injury with such a failure can be severe. You should also plan on wearing both safety glasses and a faceshield when turning.

A club will be one of your best investments in mentoring, resources, inspiration and friendship.

Jake Helmboldt
12-01-2008, 1:08 PM
Doug, as alluded to in another response, the question is, "did you get all of the tools, chucks, etc with the lathe for the $850?" If so, then someone call the police!:eek:

Doug Mason
12-01-2008, 1:36 PM
No--the tools were aquired since I picked up the Lathe in early September. I bought the stronghold chuck--and after using it I think I should have gotten the smaller Talon. Sharpening the turning tools is relatively easy (I have been using a belt sander)

What with work, the "little one", etc, I simply don't have time for a class--so I have a couple books from which I am learning. I've been working wood for awhile now--so I am very cognizant of all dangers and very cautious. But I wish I could take a class!

I primarily intend the lathe for spindle work. Per the previous post, I didn't realized that you could turn bowls on both sides of the spindle - I'll have to search the threads to see how other people have built tool rests.

Thx for all your replies.