PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Adjustment Question

Geoff Potter
11-30-2008, 4:31 PM
I have a Ridgid 14" bandsaw. The saw was running very rough so I changed the belt to a v-belt and cut down the vibration to where it will pass the nickel test. Now that I had the vibration out of it, I decided to do a little tuning. I checked the tracking first and found that the blade was riding on the outside edge of the tire so I adjusted it back to the middle. Turned the saw on and the blade was tracking fine but now a new noise had started (like something was scraping) along with a burning rubber smell. Couldn't find anything scraping. So here are the questions:

1. Could the blade be cutting the tire?
2. The cool blocks look like they are ready for retirement. Could that be the scraping?
3. Could the v-belt be the problem?

Thank you in advance for any help you might give!!

Rod Upfold
11-30-2008, 4:59 PM
Do a visual check where you might think where the problem is that is making the noise. I was raised on a farm and when a visual check didn't work, we took a short broom stick handle and followed the sound. Just like a doctor's stethoscope looking for sounds in your chest...you are looking for a scraping sound in your bandsaw.

Rod

Perry Underwood
11-30-2008, 6:16 PM
If you moved the blade from the outside edge to the center of the wheels and did not adjust the upper and lower guides that could be the problem. Check not only the blocks but also the thrust bearings.

Brett Robson
11-30-2008, 7:41 PM
Is the scraping sound constant or intermittent? If it's intermittent, you may be hearing the blade weld scrape as it passes between the guide blocks if they are set too close.

Try backing the guides and the thrust bearings off and turn the wheel by hand while listening for the noise. You should be able to isolate where it's coming from or see what's causing it.

Heather Thompson
11-30-2008, 8:02 PM
Geoff,

I would be willing to put money on what Perry said, if it were me I would do a complete tune up of the saw, like you just took it out of the box. If you are not sure how to approach this there are plenty of threads here on the Creek, use the search function and prepare for some good reading. Good luck with your saw.

Heather