PDA

View Full Version : Blum tandem locking devices....

chris fox
11-30-2008, 1:59 PM
I purchased a couple of sets of these(18") and dont quote understand how to mount the locking device. Rockler instructions which are prety much identical to the manuf. instructions dont detail how to mount these. Do these need to fit onto the rail first? If so its not obvious.
I found a couple of .PDFs on the manf. site with no clear instructions. Am I over thinkign this?

Thanks,
Chris

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2008, 2:21 PM
They are typically attached to the lip on the underside of the front of the drawer box. That what the two angled holes with the countersinks are for. Look at this pic:

https://www.cabinethw.com/p-43-blum-tandem-full-extension-562h.aspx

Karl Brogger
11-30-2008, 2:26 PM
You screw it to the drawer?

Dave Bureau
11-30-2008, 2:27 PM
If they are the ones with the orange levers, they mount to the underside front of the drawer. the 2 screws screw into the front and they butt the sides with the orange levers facing in.

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2008, 2:38 PM
"You screw it to the drawer?"

Yes. You must build the drawer box to Blum specs or you will not be able to make these work! Same holds true for other brands of undermounts.

Karl Brogger
11-30-2008, 2:58 PM
The only real spec is that there is a lip (recess for the drawer bottom, whatever), and that if you have 5/8 sides the drawer is 3/8 less than the opening, or for 1/2" sides 1/2" less than the opening. The lip also can not be more than 9/16". Other than that I would think just about anything would fly. You can screw them either to the front of the drawer box, or if you bottom is thicker than a 1/4" you can screw it to the drawer bottom as well.

chris fox
11-30-2008, 3:01 PM
I understand they screw to the bottom of the drawers. I just wasnt 100% sure that they nest directly up to the right/left side of the drawer. I have the drawer built to the specs.
Easy enough then...

Chris

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2008, 3:12 PM
Well, if you count, that's six critical "specs" but you forgot the length of the drawer box which is also critical and the depth of the recess on the underside, the location of the pin capture hole and the size and location of the clearance notch on the back of the drawer, etc. So yeah outside of all that "anything would fly"....

Karl Brogger
11-30-2008, 3:54 PM
Well, if you count, that's six critical "specs" but you forgot the length of the drawer box which is also critical and the depth of the recess on the underside, the location of the pin capture hole and the size and location of the clearance notch on the back of the drawer, etc. So yeah outside of all that "anything would fly"....

You can cheat the drawer depth with where you put the locking devices. Been there, cheated that.

Yes, they typically mounted tight to the front and sides.