PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Iles??? ~ ~ Pfeil Chisel???

richard poitras
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Ashley Iles??? ~ ~ Pfeil Chisel???

I need to get some input by today (last day of sales for both)

I am looking at getting one of these sets of chisels but I can’t make up my mind they are both about the same price give or take a few dollars so price is not a factor. They both rank high in the most recent FWW review article and I have hired praise about both.(google search) I have held the Pfeils in my hand and they feel good but I have nerve held or seen the AI’s in person. What are your thoughts…(both a 6 piece set)

Beveled Edge Bench Chisels by Ashley Iles
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/prodimg/il/big/IL-100-10XX_big.gif

Pfeil Chisel Boxed Set, 6 piece</SPAN>
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/05T29.jpg

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 1:24 PM
I own the Ashley Iles chisels you show above and really like them. For me, they are comfortable in my hand and hold an edge very nicely. Please note that there is a version with shorter handles...I didn't like those when I tried them out at ToolsForWorkingWood.com in NYC when I made my purchase a few years ago. I also tested the Two Cherries/Hirsh chisels and one other that I can't remember the name of before making my selection.

Oh, I have handled the Lie Nielson chisels in Robert Tarr's shop and they are also very sweet and comfortable to me. But I already owned the AI tools at that point and considering something else was a moot point.

richard poitras
11-30-2008, 1:43 PM
Jim, do you do much malleting on your AI chisels I see that they don’t have the hoops on them like the Pfeils do? Not sure if this maters much since they have the bubinga wood handles..

Mike Henderson
11-30-2008, 2:00 PM
Jim, do you do much malleting on your AI chisels I see that they don’t have the hoops on them like the Pfeils do? Not sure if this maters much since they have the bubinga wood handles..
As long as you don't hit them with a metal hammer, the end of the handle will not get bunged up to any great degree. You'd have to really beat them to harm the handle.

Hooped handles are way over rated. Look at the old mortise chisels (pigstickers) - they didn't have hooped handles and those were really beat on. And I don't like the feel of a hooped handle when I'm using the chisel for "hand" purposes (like paring).

Just use a wooden mallet and the handles will last a very long time.

Mike

Robert LaPlaca
11-30-2008, 2:39 PM
I own a set of the AI American Butt chisels, I really like them a lot. I use them for dovetailing, I really like the short length. The AI steel takes and holds a edge very nicely.

You cannot beat the price..Only minor complaint is the round handles roll off the bench easily and you need to look out below or else..

Johnny Kleso
11-30-2008, 3:17 PM
I own a lot of chisels mostly old but some new.....

I read all the reviews check all the prices and if I was to buying another set it would be the Pfiel brand ..

I liked what FWW had to say about them..

Joel Goodman
11-30-2008, 3:28 PM
Don't know anything about the Pfiels. But one good thing about the AI's: on mine the backs flattened really fast.

John Dykes
11-30-2008, 3:30 PM
AI without question.

My first set was Hirsch (which I liken to Two Cherries and Pfiel) - and I'll never make that mistake again....

- jbd in Denver

Mike Davi
11-30-2008, 3:41 PM
I own the AI Bench chisels. I do like the quality, but after using the for a while I would probably have purchased the AI American Pattern chisels. They are shorter and would probably provide more control. I purchased them from CraftsmanGallery.com, where they were a little cheaper than Tools For Working Wood at that time.

David Bodkin
11-30-2008, 4:14 PM
Another vote for the AIs. I own a couple (hope to be getting more for Xmas) and like them a lot. They have a good feel to them and sharpen well. I've never used a Pfeil before so I really can't compare them.

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 4:48 PM

I use a shop-made Osage orange round mallet when I have to hit them and I don't wack them hard...not necessary since I actually manage to keep them sharp! (which my flesh can attest to...)

Thomas Williams
11-30-2008, 4:53 PM
I bought the AI, really like the feel, but I do not feel that edge retention is all that great. I have 1 Pfiel I bought to try and seem to reach for it more than the same sized AI. So I guess between the two I would buy the Pfiel.

richard poitras
11-30-2008, 7:03 PM
Well thanks for all the input. In looking at all my information and some of the things everybody stated including comments I found on the web about the two brands. I decided to go with the Pfeil brand, they were rated a close second to Lie Nielsen ($335.00) in FWW and they come with a box. I don’t think I could go wrong with ether one but the AI were a little longer than the Pfeils (unless you went with the American AI chisels and those were just too short for what I like) and the handle was a little larger in diameter. (I don’t have huge hands /personal preference) I did like the look of the Bubinga handles and the brass piece a lot better and they were rated the same as the Pfeils for edge retention, but since I did hold these and they felt very good in hand I decided to go with the Pfeils and a Wood is Good Mallet 20oz 3 ½’’ diameter. Now I just hope the box fits in my stocking on the fireplace. :D

Once again thanks for comments Richard