PDA

View Full Version : How to make money for the forums

Robert Rosensteel
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Has anyone thought about making a Cd with laser projects(vector and raster) for members to buy and that could help support SMC.? I know I would buy it. Thanks Robert

Steve Clarkson
11-30-2008, 1:01 PM
Where do I send my money in?????

Doug Griffith
11-30-2008, 1:36 PM
I'd be interested in that as well. I'd also contribute programming a file upload system, web space, and my ecommerce system to accept orders. All proceeds after credit card processor and merchant account fees could go to SMC. Ideally someone else would pick up the CD burning and fulfillment end. These CDs should be cheap enough for all of us to enjoy. Digital download is another viable option.

Cheers,
Doug

Martin Boekers
11-30-2008, 3:27 PM
Sounds like a great plan! Maybe even include some Photoshop actions to help on image conversions.

Marty

James Wright
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I have wanted to do this too...I could do the CD burning and the fulfillment end....if we want to get this started lets talk getting .cdr's and pricing

I'd be interested in that as well. I'd also contribute programming a file upload system, web space, and my ecommerce system to accept orders. All proceeds after credit card processor and merchant account fees could go to SMC. Ideally someone else would pick up the CD burning and fulfillment end. These CDs should be cheap enough for all of us to enjoy. Digital download is another viable option.

Cheers,
Doug

Kevin C. Johnson
12-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I would be interested,
I have been looking on how to expand my sales options.

Marc Myer
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I'd buy, I'll contribute designs too.
It would be a great way to have resources at the fingertips, especially when the internet is unccoperative and can't search the Creek!

Dave Johnson29
12-05-2008, 2:06 PM
Has anyone thought about making a Cd with laser projects(vector and raster) for members to buy and that could help support SMC.?

Hi Robert,

Almost Deja Vu. yesterday I was sorting through some old computer boards and thought about making an automatic CD burner. I have dozens of steppers motors and control cards and can make a robot to load and unload the finished CDs. I'd use a dedicated computer and just let it run, burning the image file to the CD.

Not sure when I would have the time get to it in the really near future, but it would not be that difficult to make. I can also write the software to control it all. Sounds like another neat project I will do anyway.

Bob Keyes
12-05-2008, 4:42 PM
It would seem to me that the download option is better. That way any new additions would be available without burning a new CD. If you prefer a CD then download and burn it on a CD.

Opinions??

Jack Harper
12-05-2008, 5:32 PM
It would seem to me that the download option is better. That way any new additions would be available without burning a new CD. If you prefer a CD then download and burn it on a CD.

Opinions??

I agree. This way files can be perpetually added and enhanced. Maybe this file download section would be available only to contributors of a certain dollar amount or higher to help motivate not only contributing, but doing so in an amount that truly helps. This way there is no money collection issues or taxes and so on.

Doug Griffith
12-05-2008, 7:55 PM
The main issues with a download system is bandwidth and keeping leechers out. If I were to program the system and host the website and files I'd probably build in a time based password system. Then for a given dollar amount the user would have download access for a given period of time. Maybe a year. I'd also build in a system where file contributors could manage their uploads.

That being said, if only a few people use it and upload files, the energy spent putting it all together will be moot. If quite a few people express interest, I'll move forward.

Also, since I'm not affiliated with SMC, a system based on SMC contributions wouldn't work. I'd make monthly contributions to SMC based on website income after expenses.

Cheers,
Doug

"Terry Pless"
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Sounds great to me. Put me down for a CD/download. Maybe some of us SMC'ers could donate a few Cdr's that haven't been published here as a added bonus, I'll put in a few. Terry

James A. Wolfe
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I'd be very interested in a plans download or CD. To cope with updates and additions, you might consider monthly or quarterly updates for a nominal fee. A couple of bucks here and there and the Creek would have a steady income.

I like the free access to plans and help that exists here and wouldn't want to disrupt that so I think it would be more of a convenience as a compilation of stuff uploaded here already. Rather than spend an hour searching for a plan or pattern, I'd donate $10 to get all of them on one CD.

Just my $.02

Jim

Roy Nicholson
12-06-2008, 7:39 AM
I need all the help I can get...

Regards

Roy N.

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2008, 10:46 AM
You're welcome to my 'fingerbox' GMS file: http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/HTML/fingerbox.html
(Although I suspect anyone who had a use for it has already snarfed it up.)