PDA

View Full Version : Another rattle can lacquer question

George Conklin
11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I didn't want to intrude on Maylons' thread so I'm starting a new one.

My experience with lacquer has been poor at best so I've given up. After reading Maylons' thread, I wonder if I was applying the lacquer incorrectly:confused:.

When I have used lacquer, it has always left an 'orange peel' finish on the piece. Is this what is referred to as what is needed to be 'rubbed out'? Or, am I applying the lacquer too heavy?

Curt Fuller
11-30-2008, 10:47 AM
George, I know what you're referring to with the orange peel look. I've had my best luck with the Deft brand of spray can lacquer. I've tried some others that seem to be more concentrated and cause the orange peel more easily. They also run easier. In my own experience, you have to apply lighter coats and more of them to not get the orange peel finish.

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
George I agree with Curt. I have found Deft lacquer to be the best also. One thing is do not use heavy coats. On my lidded boxes I may have 7 to 8 coats before I am satisfied. These are light coats to where they just kinda look wet and about 30 minutes between coats. I have tried other lacquers and can't quite get the same finish as with Deft.

Billy Dodd
11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I agree with light coats. If you'll practice swirling your can around before you're over the project and just barely press the button and go like pssst pssst you'll get light spray and no build up. and no orange peel. I do this with several different brands. but deft is one of the better ones.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
11-30-2008, 3:34 PM
+1... Deft, very light coats.. 4-5 and then I sand w/ 1200 or 1500 then 2 more coats.. Buff with your favorite wax.. lots of work but the results can be worth it.

Bob Bergstrom
11-30-2008, 9:01 PM
Years ago I used to paint model cars and later my motorcycle tank using canned lacquer. One of the things I learned about how to prevent orange peel was to set the can in warm water for 5 minutes. Not so hot to risk explosion of the can but warm the contents. Warmed lacquer will flow better and leave a smoother finish.

Jeff Nicol
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
George, I use the deft brand also. But I make sure on any wood I use before I put on the lacquer I put on a thinned out shellac as a sealer. Let dry and sand out to 320-600 depending on wood type. Just like in car painting and wall painting the finish will look only as good as the prep and time spent getting it ready for the final coats! Everything in finishing is relevant to how good you want it to look and the time you are willing to spend on it.

As everyone has said thin and multiple coats are best. If you get orange peel or a run sand it out or it will continue to show after each consecutive coat.

Keep at it and it will all fall into place for you!

Jeff