PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Press

Rick Beko
11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
During the summer I was looking into vacuum presses. I thought I would share the press I built. I purchased the pump off of ebay and most of the parts came from Joe Woodworker. I wired it up for either continuous or to cycle at a certain settings. This allows me to use the system for for either veneering, vacuum clamping or for a vacuum chucking. So far I have tried it out with a vacuum clamp and it really holds the work snug.

Once I get one of my benches cleared I can make a vacuum bag.

Dewey Torres
11-30-2008, 12:59 AM
JWW is popular here on the Creek and he has PERSONALLY answered every single email I ever sent which I find impressive. He has a bunch of DIY vaccum kit examples on his site.

I suggest you sent pics of yours and just maybe he posts it.

richard poitras
11-30-2008, 8:33 AM
Rick,
What size pump did you get as far as CFM’s...

Jim Kountz
11-30-2008, 9:01 AM
Nice looking rig there. Im waiting now for the pump I ordered to get here so I can build mine. Looks like you did an excellent job with it, let us know how it works for you!

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Wow...nice job on that setup. And I agree that Joe is great to deal with and very knowledgeable.

Mitchell Andrus
11-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow...nice job on that setup. And I agree that Joe is great to deal with and very knowledgeable.

I second both.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Rick, looks like you used most of the same components as I did on mine. Pretty slick little device. I like how you put yours together, nice and clean. I'm not familiar with vacuum chucking, can you explain a little more? Enjoy the new posibilities!

Leigh Betsch
11-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Tell us moreabout your components. I need to make one very soon, been watching e-bay for a cheap pump. What info can you share on the pump?

Bill Arnold
11-30-2008, 1:06 PM
Nice looking system, Rick. When I built my press several years ago, I relied on Joe's site for information and parts. He answered all emails I sent and posted my system on his site when I finished it.

Mitchell Andrus
11-30-2008, 4:18 PM
Mine. Dumpster dove a 60's era Gast pump about 20 years ago. Note the oiler!!!

Never throw anything away...

Rick Beko
12-02-2008, 9:37 PM
The pump I went with was a model 71R645 GAST twin cylinder pump rated at 4.35CFM. I purchased the majority of the parts from the Joewoodworker web site. If you want to get a better understanding of the different DIY pump options I recommend you check out the site. There are step by step instructions on how to build three different systems. The only part that I found to be a bit of a challenge was how to wire it to cycle or to run continuous.

I bought the material I need to make a couple of bags so hopefully that will be straight forward.

Vacuum chucking:
If your lathe has a hollow shaft in the headstock you can use a vacuum press to hold your work piece to a face plate. You can get more information on this topic from the Joewoodworker site as well.