PDA

View Full Version : Tool upgrade

Rick Beko
11-30-2008, 12:47 AM
I was very pleased with the GI 50-220 but after rebuilding a Rockwell lathe and than a disc/belt sander the next logical step was a Rockwell 3HP 1PH unisaw. The intention was to buy a fixer upper but the saw I purchased was already in great condition. My shop is in the basement so dust is an issue. I picked up a motor cover from Busy Bee and used weather stripping to seal the closure. A neighbor around the corner has a sign shop and she sold me a 2'x4' magnetic sheet for $20. I used it to cover all the vents and any screw holes. I also installed some Plexiglas to seal the bottom of the cabinet. I did not want to drill a hole for a dust port so I raised the saw so it sat on top of the mobile based and used an existing rectangular slot for the lower dust shoot. To line up the 4" dust port I mounted it to some maple and attached it to the base. It came with a 52" Unifence which I do not have the room for so I sold it and bought a 30" General T fence. I also built a table extension for more table space. Once I receive my splitter I can reuse my shark guard.

Bob Genovesi
11-30-2008, 7:23 AM
Rick,

Nice job on the saw! Years ago I used to run a Rockwell and remember it being a great saw. Kinda wish I had one now...

Jim Kountz
11-30-2008, 9:10 AM
Hey you cant beat that old arn sometimes! Looks great and Im sure it will give you years of service. Now we'll see if my Jet saw lasts as long as that one!!

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Nice job getting that up and ready for your shop!

Chuck Tringo
11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
great work, it looks awesome :o