PDA

View Full Version : Someone Greased the Slope!

Jim Koepke
11-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Went into town today to get a needed item.

Living out in the country, I am becoming a real hermit. Have gone days without seeing another person and do not get excited about driving the 10 miles or so into town. Wife is out of state for another week or so.

Across from the big box grocery/department store is a used tool shop. Why did they have to have an up to 40% off sign in the window. I have stopped in there a few times and the stuff keeps changing. I decided a few more minutes in town wouldn't kill me. Didn't see much until I came across a box of auger bits. One looked kind of small, sure enough, it was a 3/16. This is a bit of an odd size. Most sets start at 4/16. So, that was the only thing that caught my interest. Asked how much, the guy just looked at me shaking his head and said, "how about a store special today, just take it." I told him that made me feel like I should look a little harder and see if there was something I should buy. He smiled and asked if there was any thing in particular. Told him about always being in the market for good chisels. He took me to where he thought he had some. None there, but there was a Stanley #6 type 9 on the shelf. Picking it up, I asked him how much? $35 was the reply, then I noticed the price tag for $59.99, guess that was knocked down for the sale. Gee, there wasn't a #6 in my shop. OK, call SWMBO and asked, she approved.

So now I need to make a plane till to get all of those pesky planes off of one of the benches.

While checking this plane out, something that is very common was noticed. The worst pitting on the blade is under where the chip breaker sits on the blade. The chip breaker does not seem to have any pitting. So, this makes me wonder if the different metals between the hard steel of the blade and the softer spring steel of the chip breaker are having a reaction with the moisture and wood residue while sitting on a shelf over the years.

Also bought a 1 inch beveled socket chisel yesterday at a rummage sale. It is so covered with crud that if there is a maker's mark, it can not be seen. The socket has also been hammered on but there is enough left to rehab. Cost me a whole nickel.

The first cuts from the #6 as bought were a little shredded. There were a few rough spots on the blade and a little nick.

Dismantled the plane. Cleaned up the light rust. It looked like someone had done a little cosmetic work on this one to make the brass shiny.

Sharpened the blade, oiled all the screws and dug out a large style adjuster to put on it. Reassembled the whole thing and made some fluffy shavings.

Seemed to work pretty good over the grain change area.

Not much more to do. The frog could use a little rotational adjustment. May strip the tote and do some shaping work to make it fit my hand a bit better. No hurry though, maybe someday when I am bored.

All in all for not quite $40 total it seems like a nice worker to have in the shop.

The #3 auger works pretty well also. Need to find a small file to touch it up. My regular auger file is just a little too big.

jim

Alan DuBoff
11-30-2008, 2:14 AM
Jim,

Looks like a nice plane, and I agree on the #3, not real common. I think I have two #4s. A couple nice additions to your shop, for certain! :cool:

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 9:57 AM
Sounds like it was a very enjoyable "excursion into civilization" for you!

Glenn Howard
11-30-2008, 5:43 PM
Great find! But seriously, you need to renegotiate your deal with SWMBO so that a $35 purchase doesn't need a preauth ;)