PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a factory reconditioned PC biscuit joiner online?

Scott Schwake
11-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Looking to take advantage of the MS cashback program, and I can save about $25 by buying a factory reconditioned unit with full factory warranty over a non-reconditioned unit, do you think it is worth it? Anything I should be asking the seller about this unit?

Thanks, Scott

Mike OMelia
11-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Only if it comes from Hardees. ;)

Mike

Tom Veatch
11-29-2008, 11:45 PM
The factory reconditioned items I've bought online may not have been as pristine in appearance, but the performance has been every bit as good as I would have expected from a "new" item. I personally have no qualms about buying factory reconditioned merchandise. In fact, if there's a choice and there's an appreciable discount, I'll usually opt for the reconditioned.

Wade Lippman
11-30-2008, 12:33 AM
I have probably bought reconditioned about 5 or 6 times; haven't been able to tell they weren't new. Go for it. (assuming it is a reputable vendor!)

Dewey Torres
11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Factory reconditioned (FR) usually comes with great warranties and therefore if you are not using them on a TV set for a woodowrking show they turn out to be as good as new or you just exercise the warranty. I don't see how to go wrong really.

I have bought FR a number of times including my staple Bosch Colt and never... not once have I had one fail. TO ME... It is kind of like buying an old house that has already had the foundation settle plus a new warranty.

Dewayne Reding
11-30-2008, 7:01 AM
I've purchased reconditioned about five times, and it has worked out everytime. It seems you would probably get a tool that actually went through some meaningful QC inspection. That said, your discount seems a little light IMO. Most of my Dewalt refurbs were selling at a minimum 35% discount a few years ago, and appeared virtually new.

Bob Genovesi
11-30-2008, 7:27 AM
I'm going to vote a big thumbs up for "factory reconditioned" tools. I've gone this route 3 or 4 times and not once had a problem with any of them. I've bought both electric and pneumatic tools and saved a ton of money. I'm my opinion I could not tell these were reconditioned...

Andy Casiello
11-30-2008, 8:22 AM
Another +1 on reconditioned gear. I've purchased a few reconditioned tools, including a Paslode finish nailer. They've worked great.

Jim Kountz
11-30-2008, 9:07 AM
My shop and work trailer are full of FR tools. I jump on them whenever I can. I do have about 3 dealers that I buy from regularly and so I know what to expect from them.

Russ Massery
11-30-2008, 9:46 AM
Same here Never had a issue with any recondition tools I have bought.

Barry Vabeach
11-30-2008, 9:48 AM
I have had no problems with FR tools. The one area I would be hesitant is cordless tools - I assume the batteries aren't new and there is no way I know to test to see how much life they have in them or whether the prior owner abused them by overcharging, leaving them in excessive heat etc. Other than that, you can get some great deals and I have never been burned.

Joe Von Kaenel
11-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Scott,

I bought my Dewalt Biscuit Joiner reconditioned and it works very well.

Joe

Steve Clardy
11-30-2008, 10:33 AM
No problems here with recons.

Ted Shrader
11-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Scott -

Factory reconditioned from a reliable vendor will save you some money. The extra $25, in this case, will buy a lot of biscuits.

The PC biscuit joiner also comes with a Face Frame cutter. With several others the FF cutter is an additional item to purchase.

Go for it,
Ted

Jesse Cloud
11-30-2008, 11:27 AM
In most situations, reconditioning involves more quality inspections than manufacturing. I've never been disappointed.

Can;t say the same for "scratch and dent" sales, though.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-30-2008, 2:35 PM
Yes. The thing about recons is that they are ALL tested. New tools are batch tested. I buy a lot of new tools as well but when I can, the recons get the nod.

I've had a recon Bosch rotary hammer now for the last 6 years and it's working perfectly today.

Dar Lounsbury
11-30-2008, 2:54 PM
I have purchased several factory reconditioned power tools and as others have said, "cannot tell them from new". Reconditioned items are sometimes half the cost of new. When I am looking for an addition to my tools, refurbished is the first place I look.

I was told that not all refurbished stuff is warranty returns. Much of it is stuff that failed some sort of quality inspection at the factory and when returned to the part of the assembly line to be corrected, it then is considered refurbished. Pieces missing before being packaged counts as a QC failure. Not all tools had something broken but just not in the box, thus returned on assembly line.

Dar

glenn bradley
11-30-2008, 3:49 PM
No problems with any of my recons from CPO.

Jim O'Dell
11-30-2008, 5:39 PM
I've looked several times, but haven't had the need for something yet that I considered the price difference good enough to go for. I have thought about the PC 557 several times, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems in the past 4 years I have seen some close outs on it at Lowe's or HD at a better than recon price, and just didn't have the funds available at the time to strike. If you don't need it immediately for a project, watch through middle of Jan, and there may be some really good prices on a new one. Jim.

Mike Heidrick
11-30-2008, 6:34 PM
I would try it. If it does not work return it.

Scott Schwake
12-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone, with overwhelmingly positive response I decided to give it a shot.

dave rave
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I had one of the very first 557's that were made and loved it. It then disappeared, to where I have no idea (shared commercial shop space). I decided to replace it because of an upcoming job and began looking. I saw that places were marketing the 557 as Type 3. I did a search and discovered that the 557 has had several different versions. The initial run has no designation, the latter half of the first year was apparently labeled Type 1, then another batch was Type 2, etc. The reason for this was the design changed. The rumor is that PC was sued by DeWalt over the fence design, but the reality is that at least the Type 2 machines have a pivoting fence that is set forward of the blade opening sandpaper surface by somewhere in the vicinity of 3/32". If you are doing biscuits with the fence at 90, no biggie, but if you need to work with the fence flush, then you are going to have problems. People developed workarounds, usually involving epoxy to pad out the recessed surface, but it is a nuisance.
Ask or check yourself which version you are getting. It is clearly marked on the sticker on the machine body. Type 3 is fine.
And if I am in any way not being clear about the situation, please do a search for PC 557 types or something along those lines.

dave rave
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I bought mine through Savannah Toolhouse, best price I could find. Check Toolseeker.com also. It isn't always accurate but it helps for comparison shopping.