PDA

View Full Version : ridgid 12 inch slider

jim sauterer
11-29-2008, 10:16 PM
any thoughts on ridgid slider for 349 good price.how is the saw.i know most seem to like makita and bosch.thanks

Dennis Puskar
11-29-2008, 11:58 PM
I have the Rigid sliding compound miter saw and like it very much,removed the saw from the box and put to use everything was set nothing to adjust.

Dennis

Kelly C. Hanna
11-30-2008, 2:38 PM
This is one tool Ridgid sells [not sure who makes it] that is a pretty good deal. My buddy had one for years. The price is nice, but it expires today.

Dennis Montgomery
11-30-2008, 7:53 PM
I've had this slider for about 4 years, using it on job sites. It's a tough saw, but very heavy. I would highly recommend it for that price.

dave rave
12-02-2008, 11:16 PM
We have one, acquired before my time, and there is one big problem with it that I don't know how to address. The aluminum casting that is both vertical fence wings plus the semicircular connector is not straight. If I place a straight edge across there are widening gaps as you approach the blade. This means that you have a huge chance for kickback when cutting a long piece and are never consistently square. I'd check to make sure yours doesn't have this problem.
And if anybody has a fix suggestion, I'm open to any and all.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
That's actually very common among all jobsite sliders...mine has the problem as well. It's easy to fix if you require accuracy. Simply install an auxiliary hardwood fence and shim the area that it out of plane. The cause is always the same....kickback to begin with. Can't tell you how many times a piece of wood has slammed my fences and I've owned four different sliders over the last ten years.

Course there's another fix....order another fence system for it...they're not too costly.

Douglas Brummett
12-03-2008, 1:08 PM
any thoughts on ridgid slider for 349 good price.how is the saw.i know most seem to like makita and bosch.thanks

At the price it was too hard for me to pass up. Features, fit & finish, and smoothness of slide were all comparable on the HD display models. Main difference is that the Ridgid was near half the price of the dewalt and almost $200 less than the makita 10in slider. I can't see any reason to pay half again as much for the other saws in question.

Other thoughts:
- it is heavy
- the MSUV is even heavier
- the orange/white/black boxes look good in my garage (must refrain from opening until Christmas, I'd probably be in trouble if I lugged a dirty saw in under the tree :D)

Kelly C. Hanna
12-03-2008, 1:30 PM
I gotta say that after owning the Makita you really can't compare it to the Ridgid or the DW though. Both are much less accurate. The Makita is worth every dime extra.

If it didn't have the mechanism it has for the miter detent slot I'd still own one [pt pine gums it up and it has to be cleaned constantly].