PDA

View Full Version : French Bench Build

Ben Davis
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
So after nearly 6 months of living in the new house and 6 weeks of reading through Schwarz's Workbenches, I embarked upon the build of my first no-kidding workbench last night. I setteled on the French bench design. After I drew up a cut list, I purchased (hopefully) all of the SYP I'll need at my local Lowe's. I debated heavily upon visiting the local Ace Hardware, but they only have an outside lumber yard with simple sun shades to cover the wood. I figured I would have a better chance a getting marginally dry wood from the big box. I picked up a couple of oher very minor things and the bill totaled to $145.00. Not bad IMO. I've got it stickered for now and expect at least 3-4 weeks for drying time.

I am very much considering and motivated to do a build blog of some sorts. Is there any interest in this at all? Maybe there is some other folks out there that want to make their very own Roubo. If multiple people want to get started on this, we can go for a group build thread over in the projects subforum (e.g. Walt, Gary, et al. with the The Great Morris Chair Project). Seeing how I'm working alone on this, it would be great to make a few friends and share some ideas.

Any takers?

-Ben

Pat Germain
11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
I attempted to document my French bench build in my "Diary of a Madman's Workbench" thread. Alas, much of my progress was interrupted by my daughter moving back in and a hardwood flooring install. I recently updated the thread, if you're interested.

I would be interested in you documenting your progress on the bench build. Based on the feedback from my thread, I think others would be as well.

I'm jealous you can get cheap SYP. It's simply not available in my area. I went with a hickory top and built the base with douglas fir. It worked, but it's not as nice as SYP.

Mike OMelia
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Stop talking in code!:p What is SYP?

Mike:confused:

Ben Davis
11-29-2008, 11:28 PM
SYP = southern yellow pine aka longleaf pine. Down here it's what is used in all stick built construction. I can get it at up to 16' lengths for less than $15 a board (2x12x16' dimentioned lumber). The 16'-ers are used as floor joists.

Pat, the Hickory will be plenty tough. I dug through all of the available lumber at Lowe's and came up with some reasonable clear and straight stuff. There are certainly some boards which I wish had fewer knots in them. I'll just have to work around it the best I can for now. When I'm back at the store I'll try to make the effory to periodically check for better stock, but that game is only going to last for the next couple of weeks.

My first big design question is going to revolve around the addition of a wagon vise. I really really like the idea, but I'm still working on designing it into the bench. It would be nice to know how Schwarz retrofitted it to his bench. I've seen the spendy $350 version which would be quite a snap to install, but I hope to complete the whole bench for less than that!

Dewey Torres
11-30-2008, 1:13 AM
Stop talking in code!:p What is SYP?

Mike:confused:

Mike,
If ever you need ... and I do lots see:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78002&highlight=acronyms

It is a good one to bookmark.

Ben Davis
11-30-2008, 5:52 PM
I attempted to document my French bench build in my "Diary of a Madman's Workbench" thread. Alas, much of my progress was interrupted by my daughter moving back in and a hardwood flooring install. I recently updated the thread, if you're interested.

I would be interested in you documenting your progress on the bench build. Based on the feedback from my thread, I think others would be as well.

I'm jealous you can get cheap SYP. It's simply not available in my area. I went with a hickory top and built the base with douglas fir. It worked, but it's not as nice as SYP.
Well I don't know if I would call it "cheap", but it certainly isn't spendy (like an Ash base would be, ah hem!) for these parts. If you into northern Georgia and the western parts of South and North Carolina, you can probably get 2x12x12' (dimentioned) SYP for way under $10 a board.

Any takers on the group build?

Ben Davis
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
So after nearly 6 months of living in the new house and 6 weeks of reading through Schwarz's Workbenches, I embarked upon the build of my first no-kidding workbench last night. I setteled on the French bench design. After I drew up a cut list, I purchased (hopefully) all of the SYP I'll need at my local Lowe's. I debated heavily upon visiting the local Ace Hardware, but they only have an outside lumber yard with simple sun shades to cover the wood. I figured I would have a better chance a getting marginally dry wood from the big box. I picked up a couple of oher very minor things and the bill totaled to $145.00. Not bad IMO. I've got it stickered for now and expect at least 3-4 weeks for drying time.

I am very much considering and motivated to do a build blog of some sorts. Is there any interest in this at all? Maybe there is some other folks out there that want to make their very own Roubo. If multiple people want to get started on this, we can go for a group build thread over in the projects subforum (e.g. Walt, Gary, et al. with the The Great Morris Chair Project). Seeing how I'm working alone on this, it would be great to make a few friends and share some ideas.

Any takers?

-Ben
There has to be someone interested in building a bench!

Dewey Torres
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
You might try renaming your thread to "XXX Bench group build invite" or something like that. I would think there would be at least one taker as a bench is a good winter project.

Good luck.

Steve Schoene
12-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I'd suggest you get a moisture meter. If the SYP was marketed for use as framing lumber (we get s-p-f up here), then it's unlikely that it has a moisture content less than about 19%. Make sure you have a HEAVY weight on the stack, SYP wants to corkscrew if it can. Afterall it was only inside for a week or two--maybe. It may also not have been kiln dried to a hot enough temperature to "set" the sap pockets. The lumber at the borg is usually inferior to what you would find at a real lumberyard. For example how many of the boards that you bought contain the pith or center of the tree. Those will really want to warp, and will be much weaker to boot. Buying 2x10s and ripping out the pith can work. By all accounts, the borg lets their 2x4s be stripped of some of the better boards by the manufacturer.

Pat Germain
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
FYI, in his book, Chris Schwarz actually recommends buying SYP from a big box to save money. Low cost is a primary objective for his benches.

The French bench is designed to accommodate wood with a high moisture content. Thus, it might be easier to work with higher end SYP from a hardwood retailer, but it's perfectly alright to use the cheap stuff from Lowe's or Home Depot. That's what the Schwarz did when he built his bench.

Skeptics should read the book and then decide.

Marcus Ward
12-02-2008, 1:38 PM
I am thinking about redoing the base for my bench in the roubo style with flush front legs and a leg-vise this winter. Not 100% certain though as I don't know if the funds are there for it. I'd join in for that part at least.

Chris Schumann
12-02-2008, 3:10 PM
There has to be someone interested in building a bench!
There's a lot of interest to be sure... but some of us have committed to building the 21st Century Workbench by Bob Lang. While some are pretty far along or done, others of us (like me) have a pile of lumber.

Bill Tims
12-04-2008, 7:59 AM
Google has a good preview of his book... here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ihc9Ma0i6rQC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=French+wood+workbench&source=web&ots=PQwNQsd3cR&sig=b9Q1tsIelG5U6ifwgx9FK3wfQB4&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA64,M1

Steve Schoene
12-04-2008, 9:08 AM
Read the thread entitled Southern Yellow Pine a Tense Situation

Pat Germain
12-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Read the thread entitled Southern Yellow Pine a Tense Situation

I can summarize if for you. Some people don't like Southern Yellow Pine.

Marcus Ward
12-05-2008, 7:25 AM
Hang on Pat, let me try....

One bad experience, condemn the species! :D

Steve Schoene
12-05-2008, 8:36 AM
SYP has been complained about by a great many people as being unstable, it's not just a few guys with bad experiences.

But, I'd be less worried about SYP as a species, than using inadequately dried construction grade lumber from the big boxes. The borg, orange or blue, very seldom have quality lumber. If you must use construction lumber, never dried below about 19%, (which leaves just a small margin below the level at which wood rots) at least get it from quality lumberyards, and even there, prepare to be very picky about which boards you accept.

Wood always shrinks and swells as it gains or loses moisture. But, the amount of the swelling is different (and smaller) if it has once been more fully dried in a well managed kiln. (Call it hystersis perhaps.) That's another reason to avoid minimally dried construction lumber for projects needed to remain stable, and which will be used for a very long time. The cost per year of using better lumber (not fancier per se) is pretty small, especially when you factor in the time you spend constructing it. Done right, a work bench is a once in a career project.

Russ Hauser
12-05-2008, 9:19 AM
SYP =
My first big design question is going to revolve around the addition of a wagon vise. I really really like the idea, but I'm still working on designing it into the bench. It would be nice to know how Schwarz retrofitted it to his bench. I've seen the spendy $350 version which would be quite a snap to install, but I hope to complete the whole bench for less than that!

Ben,

What is a "Wagon Vise?" Is it similar to a leg vise?

Russ