PDA

View Full Version : G0513x2 q&a

Jim Kountz
11-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I'll start by saying how much I LOVE this saw. Im really glad I followed others advice here and bought it. That said I have a few questions I would like to ask other owners of this saw.
First of all do you have the Bears Head wheels? Mine does but I thought they were only used on the 19" saws. I smiled when I opened the doors for the first time and saw them!
Second, for tilting the table do you have a ratchet lever to unlock the table and another to move the angle or do you have a knob for adjusting tilt?
Lastly, has anyone come up with an option for that darn set screw for the lower thrust bearing? That stupid thing is way up in there and hard to reach!

Anthony Whitesell
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I'll start by saying how much I LOVE this saw. Im really glad I followed others advice here and bought it. That said I have a few questions I would like to ask other owners of this saw.
First of all do you have the Bears Head wheels? Mine does but I thought they were only used on the 19" saws. I smiled when I opened the doors for the first time and saw them!

I purchased the saw in the beginning of October (built in August 2008 according to the numbers on the upper door). The bears are a cute touch. In the grand scheme it probably cost them about 10 cents more than making plain circles.

Second, for tilting the table do you have a ratchet lever to unlock the table and another to move the angle or do you have a knob for adjusting tilt?

Two ratching levers.

Lastly, has anyone come up with an option for that darn set screw for the lower thrust bearing? That stupid thing is way up in there and hard to reach!

I'll be acquiring atleast a T-handle allen wrench. Some cheap-o Harbor Freight thing or the like. I think I'll run into the problem where the other side hangs out and cut it off to make a large L-Handle. I'm also thinking a 1/4" drive hex socket and extension may work well.

Russ Massery
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
No bears on mine bought it Dec of 06. I found a T- handle allen wrench work best to adjust guides.http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13389-T-handles-Stand-2-10mm/dp/B00012Y38C/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FH9C7U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XCZ4RETMDVZTEZMFRWD I just have the knob. I think of upgrading to cast iron trunnions. Mine is the 0513x only. Not the X-2.

Pat Germain
11-29-2008, 10:29 PM
My saw was the first I had seen of the Bear Head wheels. I thought it was a nice touch.

I agree about the tough-to-adjust allen screw. I also need to buy a T-handle for that action. I have the ratcheting handles since it's an X variant. Great saw!

Andy Casiello
11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey Jim,

I bought my 513x2 in September. Has the bear heads. Two ratcheting handles.

I use a T-handle allen wrench from a Kobalt set I have. It gets in there pretty easy.

I just put a 1" Timberwolf resaw blade on there tonight and had to back the guide bearing way out.. Cuts straight as an arrow. I made up a 12" square game board out of purpleheart and curly maple (3/4" thick) and used that blade to slide the board into two game boards. Saves a lot of money being able to resaw expensive hardwood like that into thinner veneers! Love that saw!

http://acasiello.dyndns.org:83/photos/shop/gameboard.jpg

Jim Kountz
11-30-2008, 9:13 AM
Andy you're supposed to have small squares for a chess board not stripes silly:D:D!!

Barry Vabeach
11-30-2008, 9:44 AM
Jim, I bought mine a few months ago and have the same equipment as you. I played with the tilting table when I first got it, 2 ratchet handles, then used it once, and since then it has stayed locked at 90 degrees ( I didn't like the feeling of having the table tilted - and I don't recall the last time I changed the angle on my table saw) Since I won't be changing the angle of the table, I made an extended thumbscrew to lock down the lower thrust bearing - it comes out past the trunion, but since I don't expect to tilt the table, it doesn't pose a problem for me and makes it much easier to lock down that bearing. I did the same for the rest of the set screws on the bottom.

Andy Casiello
11-30-2008, 9:58 AM
Andy you're supposed to have small squares for a chess board not stripes silly:D:D!!

Doh! I knew I did something wrong! Then I re-read the instructions and it said once I had the striped board, to cut into sections - so I resawed it as shown in the photo! That didn't help, that just doubled my problems! :confused::eek::D

Anthony Whitesell
11-30-2008, 3:34 PM
Better yet. How about the lower left guide bearing. I can only turn it one flat at a time. How do you go about loosening that screw?