PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for new tool day!! 12" Ridgid slider...

Michael Donahue
11-29-2008, 8:33 PM
I just stimulated the economy a bit today :D. I picked up a 12" Ridgid sliding miter saw for $349 when they usually go for $549! I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I've got a bunch of other Ridgid tools and have been happy with them so here's a bit more orange to add to my shop (that 12 months deferred financing gets me every time! :p). HD had a few other good tool deals yesterday that I totally missed though:(

I was wondering if any of you had any advice for me on setting up this saw and the laser. Is that laser any good? I want to build a workstation in my shop for this beast so any tips or pics along those lines would be appreciated too.

Also, can you recommend a good blade for this saw? Is thin vs. full kerf and issue for these saws? I want a good blade, but don't presently have $150 for a Forrest or the like so I was wondering if any of the Freud or Diablo blades were any good. I've read some reviews of the Diablos that made me a bit nervous, with some saying that the blade didn't seem to cut as true and straight as the stock blade.

I appreciate all the help folks!

Michael Donahue
11-30-2008, 6:46 AM
Anybody?:confused:

Anthony Anderson
11-30-2008, 8:35 AM
Congrats on the new saw Michael! I was looking at the same saw to put on my MSUV, but of course I waited to long to make the decision, and I missed out. But glad you got one. I would use a full kerf blade on a 12" slider. I have noticed blade deflection on the 12" thin kerfs. If you are cutting picture frame miters that can be a problem, other cuts can also be a problem, but more aggravating when trying to get two mitered ends to meet up. So Forrest or Freud blades are safe bets. Other SMC members also speak highly of Infinity. I haven't used the Freud Diablo blades, so I cannot verify the quality, but I wouldn't be afraid to try a full kerf one. The Diablo prices seem reasonable. Just my thoughts. Good Luck, and Congrats again. Regards, Bill

Chuck Tringo
11-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Congrats on the new saw Michael! I was looking at the same saw to put on my MSUV, but of course I waited to long to make the decision, and I missed out. But glad you got one. I would use a full kerf blade on a 12" slider. I have noticed blade deflection on the 12" thin kerfs. If you are cutting picture frame miters that can be a problem, other cuts can also be a problem, but more aggravating when trying to get two mitered ends to meet up. So Forrest or Freud blades are safe bets. Other SMC members also speak highly of Infinity. I haven't used the Freud Diablo blades, so I cannot verify the quality, but I wouldn't be afraid to try a full kerf one. The Diablo prices seem reasonable. Just my thoughts. Good Luck, and Congrats again. Regards, Bill

Are you sure you missed out, my HD has the sale for 3 days and is still active today :)

Steve Griffin
11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Michael,
Great deal you scored! I haven't used that tool, but I like the rigid tools I've used so far.

As far as how to set up, boy do I have advice. A well set up miter saw is more important than an expensive one.

You got to have it mounted in a table, and since you are watching the dollars it's a perfect project to make yourself. Depending on your room and need to transport, make the left side maybe 8' and the right side 2-6' You can always use a roller stand on the right.

The next best thing you can do is set up a stop system. I have used the Beismeyer stop on two of my chop saw stands, and most recently the Kreg. I think I like the Kreg the best,and it runs about $100 for the tracks and a stop.

Why every carpenter and cabinetmaker doesn't find time to set up a miter saw well is a great mystery to me. I can't imagine even building a shed without a miter saw and stop system, much less cabinets/furniture.

-Steve

Dave Mura
11-30-2008, 3:36 PM
Congrats on the deal!