PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler Valve Question

Scott Coffelt
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
I have a system in place that has the valves all attached together and then the water is dispersed into the runs. I noticed the other night that the final zone never turned off (about 3 hours later). I had to turn the water off. I have tried four times to cycle through to see if there was an air bubble causing it not to cycle off with no luck. I am thinking the valve is bad, but it will be a real pain to repalce, so before I do and suggestions from those familiar with systems.

Ken Garlock
06-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Scott, if you can identify the brand of the valve, you might, heavy on the might, be able to get just the solenoid and replace it. If not, you are back to the PIA scenario. :(

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Ten bucks says it's the solenoid...easy and cheap to replace.

Phil Phelps
06-07-2004, 12:54 PM
I hope your valve has a "can" over it for easy access. Just replace the solenoid and you're on your way. Otherwise you'll have to dig a bit. :(

Ken Garlock
06-07-2004, 1:13 PM
I hope your valve has a "can" over it for easy access. Just replace the solenoid and you're on your way. Otherwise you'll have to dig a bit. :(

Say there Mr Phelps, where have you been hiding out. We haven't heard much, if anything, from you in a long time :confused:

Kevin Beck
06-07-2004, 2:38 PM
I have six sprinkler valves scattered around my yard and I've yet to be able to replace just the solenoid when one goes bad. It seems that whoever maintained my sprinkler system prior to me used a different brand valve for each one :mad: I've replaced all of the valves with the most commonly available brand locally.

I've replaced 4 valves in 7 years. I spent 3 - 4 days looking for 2 of the valves since I didn't know where they were in the yard. Mine are about 12 - 14 inches under ground and the cover seems to be about 2 - 3 inches under ground.

If I ever have a sprinkler system installed from scratch I definitely would have all of the valves in one place easy to access. I would also make drawings and take photos/video to help remember where all the stuff is in the yard.

Kevin

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 2:40 PM
Being in Florida, Kevin, I wonder why they would bury them at all?? All mine are nestled together, above ground, in a corner of the yard...cake to get to and work on.

Kevin Beck
06-07-2004, 3:17 PM
Being in Florida, Kevin, I wonder why they would bury them at all?? All mine are nestled together, above ground, in a corner of the yard...cake to get to and work on.

I think they buried them just to aggravate me :rolleyes: They certainly didn't need to be buried to protect them from the freezing temperatures.

I've learned that replacing a sprinkler valve involves at least 2 - 3 trips to a Borg (orange or blue), digging at least 3 times as big a hole as I think I need, and lots of #@*#&! and losing my temper :mad: several times.

Well at least I found something I hate worse than painting.

Kevin

Scott Coffelt
06-07-2004, 3:47 PM
Decided to call the company that installed them. They're coming out Friday. He has taken care of me in the past at no charge, so barring anything major I don't expect it to be too much.

I can somewhat get to the tops of them, but not to where I can identify the brand. They decided to crame them together and us a 10" cover, so that means that half of two of them are partially covered by the cover sides. I am about half tempted to fully dig out and put in a 12x24 access cover instead.

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 3:58 PM
About 6 weeks ago I finished redoing my backyard sprinkler heads/routing. Apparently, it is code out here to bury sprinkler lines 18" deep! I couldn't believe it. What I thought would be a 1-2 weekend job turned into 5-6 weekends! Only now is my back about 80% pain free. I buried my new lines 8" deep. I have a guy coming in in a week or two to replace the back lawn. I figured I earned the right to pay someone to rip up the old sod and lay down new.

Sprinkler crap is at the bottom of my list of home ownership fun but my front and back yards are about 90% done. I do have some flower bed stuff to do but that is no biggie.

Scott Coffelt
06-07-2004, 4:02 PM
I elected (based on my wife saying you don't have to do everything yourself) to have it put in by a PROFESSIONAL. I tell you, I think I have moved/added a third of the heads and wish I would have done it myself. I still need to add a head in the front yard, but try to wait until fall to do any major moves as to have someone a green and plush yard.

Phil Phelps
06-07-2004, 5:26 PM
..I have designed and installed eight sprinkler systems over the past twenty years. Different codes in different areas. Temperature will determine how deep to bury the line. Water pressure is the reason solenoid valves are scattered in different parts of the yard. Typically, a valve shouldn't be over fifty feet from the last head. You are trying to keep pressure up to feed the section. Usually, here in Dallas, you don't want more than 15 GPM on any one section. A typical head needs 7 pounds of pressure to pop it up. A full circle is 3.2 gpm, a half head is 2.8, and a quarter head is 1.5 gpm. (That's Safe T Lawn equipment.) Usually five to seven heads is tops on any one section. Each soleniod is usually placed in the center of the section, and covered with a plastic box. Of course you map the thing. How else can you find leaks and valves? But, if you bought a house, and the owner lost....well, that's a bummer. My current home has a system completely piped in copper with copper heads. Has it's own meter. I can run 90 heads at once. $$$$$$$$ right out the window!!!!!!!

Phil Phelps
06-07-2004, 5:28 PM
Say there Mr Phelps, where have you been hiding out. We haven't heard much, if anything, from you in a long time :confused:
That house I moved into has stolen every spare moment, golf time, and more. I do see light at the end of the tunnel, though. ;)

Ken Garlock
06-07-2004, 9:38 PM
That house I moved into has stolen every spare moment, golf time, and more. I do see light at the end of the tunnel, though. ;)

Good to see you back "on the air" once again. :)

samson smith
09-25-2011, 1:21 AM
I have a system in place that has the valves all attached together and then the water is dispersed into the runs. I noticed the other night that the final zone never turned off (about 3 hours later). I had to turn the water off. I have tried four times to cycle through to see if there was an air bubble causing it not to cycle off with no luck. I am thinking the valve is bad, but it will be a real pain to repalce, so before I do and suggestions from those familiar with systems.

You know that Sprinkler repair means checking for stuck valves. A sprinkler valve is stuck when a zone of sprinklers is not turn off. I give you an advice. If your problem is not solved then you can replaced the valves. You can purchase the sprinkler valves from market store. You also buy it from online stores with good offers.

victoria stiles
09-29-2011, 7:28 AM
Common problem we see very quickly in dry climates is a faulty valve.Solenoid failure has the symptom of a valve becoming inoperative, either remaining in the closed position, or remaining in the open position.Normally this will disable an entire sprinkler zone, so is usually easy to diagnose. This is a common sprinkler repair.ensure that the main water supply to the sprinkler system is turned off, as removing the solenoid means the valve will be fully open at that time

samson smith
10-01-2011, 12:54 AM
If you have a beautiful green and you want to install an irrigation system, then the sprinkler valve is very useful thing for your garden. It helps to control the waters system and make your garden more attractive. Sprinkler is really very good and helps to improve your irrigation system.