PDA

View Full Version : snipe on infeed end

Jim Barstow
11-29-2008, 5:06 PM
I've got a new grizzly 1021x2 spiral head 15" planer. There is minimal
snipe on the end of the board but about 0.005 out the infeed side. The rollers in the bed are 0.002" or less above the surface of the table measured with a straight edge and feeler gauge. On my old planer, I never had snipe on the infeed end of the board, only the outfeed. What do I need to adjust to minimize this?

Tom Veatch
11-29-2008, 5:34 PM
Trying to visualize the geometry of the support rollers, feed rollers, and cutter head, it seems to me that the outboard end of the infeed support structure is a little too low. That would allow the stock to have a slightly high angle of attack as it encounters the cutters.

First thing I'd try is to raise the outboard end of the infeed support slightly - maybe even so that it's slightly higher than inboard end.

You might could check that by lifting the outboard end of the work until it's under the outfeed drive roller and see if that reduces the snipe. If it does, you'll have found the problem.

Steve Jenkins
11-29-2008, 5:40 PM
personally unless you are planeing wet wood I would drop the rollers to flush or below so they aren't even used. but you might try lifitng up on the tailend of the board slightly as it goes into the planer. Also hold up the other end a bit as it comes out.